Varsity girls volleyball team loses to Crystal Springs in three-set match

Charlize Wang
Navya Samuel (11) leaps into the air to serve. The Eagles lost to Crystal Springs in a three set match on Sept. 21.

The varsity girls volleyball team was defeated by Crystal Springs Uplands 23-25, 17-25, 22-25 in a home game on Sept. 21.  

Harker opened the game with a serve by setter Keira Chang (10) and won the first point of the match, but Crystal Springs soon gained a lead of 5-3. Harker struggled to gain momentum, dropping two additional points to Crystal Springs. The Eagles rebounded with two consecutive kills by outside hitter Navya Samuel (11), improving the score to 5-8. Following a run by Navya and winning kills by co-captain and middle hitter Juhi Madala (12), Keira and outside hitter Divya Bhupathi (9), the Eagles tied the score at 13-13. Both teams continued to exchange points, with multiple kills by Navya, Divya and Juhi. After a serving error by Crystal Springs, the score stood at 23-24. The Eagles missed their serve, and Crystal Springs won the first set.

The Gryphons continued their winning streak in the second set, gaining an 8-2 lead. The Eagles called a timeout and soon improved their score to 10-13 after winning kills by Juhi and multiple saves by libero Norah Mehanna (11). The Eagles failed to surpass the Gryphons and called another timeout at 13-19. Harker continued to lose points to Crystal Springs Uplands, trailing 14-24. With one point away from the end of the set, the Eagles rebounded with three consecutive points to place the score at 17-24, but ultimately lost to the Gryphons in the second set with the score settled at 17-25. 

Divya reflected on the team’s strengths and weaknesses that she observed during the game. 

“I think we had some good serves,” Divya said. “A lot of them were really sharp, although [the other team’s] passing was really good, so that’s why they weren’t as effective as they normally are. I think improving on our hitting consistency and improving our communication on scramble balls would be beneficial.”

Harker entered the third and final set with a strong lead of 8-4. The Eagles widened the gap with an ace by Navya bringing the score to 16-8, but the Gryphons gained momentum and tied the score at 20-20 after a series of long rallies. The teams competed neck-to-neck, tying the game again at 22-22, but the Eagles failed to secure the win, losing the set 22-25 to Crystal. 

Despite the tough loss, Juhi commended her teammates and expressed her high hopes for the team’s future improvement and achievements. 

“I’m looking forward to more games in general,” Juhi said. “This is a really good group of girls and everyone is so strong, so I think no matter what happens in our future games, it’s gonna be loads of fun, and I can’t wait to see how much more we improve in the time left in the season.”

The Eagles currently hold a 12-4 record and will play at Castilleja next on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.