Annual Art Show held in Nichols Hall

During lunch on Wednesday May 2, students heard an unfamiliar sound as they rushed to Manzanita hall.

A DJ was blasting dance music outside of Nichols Hall. In hopes of alleviating stress for Advanced Placement tests next week, Spirit Club hosted a DJ to lighten the mood. Meanwhile, the Art Department hosted their annual Art Show in Nichols Hall amidst the musical surprise and club meetings.

The show displayed works done by all art students including those in Study of Visual Arts, Ceramics, and AP Studio Art. All artwork was categorized into six categories: Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Ceramics, Graphic Arts, and Photography.

The art show gives students an opportunity to display talents to their friends, faculty, and peers. Shantanu Joshi (11) was impressed by his friends’ pieces that displayed a wide range of skill, something he did not know his friends had.

“It’s really surprising to see these cool designs by people you wouldn’t expect,” he said, pointing to one of the portraits in Aditya Sastry’s (12) Breadth Portfolio.

Shantanu then noticed this year’s assortment of works such as digital art pieces and pop culture structures as opposed to only traditional paintings and watercolors of years past.

In addition to showcasing student artwork, the exhibit held an anonymous ballot hosted by the Art Club for students to vote for the Main Hall mural design. There were four designs available to choose from, each drawn individually by a member of the Club.

Ilsa Zhang (11), one of the four artists of the mural designs, based her work off of the building itself.

“Since Main Hall is the literature and language [building], we wanted to incorporate the literature themes from the books that we read in each grade level,” she said.

The individual artists who designed a mural remained anonymous to instigate fair voting.

Head of the Art Department Jaap Bongers supervised the event and invited Exhibition Juror Teresa Canniff to assess the pieces. Canniff is a mixed media installation artist and graphic designer based in San Francisco; this past March, one of her solo exhibitions was displayed in the Monterey Peninsula College Art Gallery.

After evaluating all of the pieces, she recognized two titles in each of the six categories: one first place and one honorable mention. The most coveted award, Best of Show, was given to Antonia Isper’s (12) Solitude Series.

The Art Exhibition will be on display in Nichols Hall until May 31.