Game Talk with Gabe: Is it over for the Warriors we know?

Thompson occupies a special place in the hearts of Warriors fans, largely based on past achievements. With that being said, the equally beloved Curry still puts up incredible performances night in and night out, outpacing his former duo-mate. (Young Min)

The Golden State Warriors lost to the Sacramento Kings 118-94 on April 16, eliminating Golden State from the 2024-25 postseason contention. The 20-point loss in the play-in tournament marks the latest stumble for the Warriors, who won four championships between 2015 and 2022.

During the contest, Klay Thompson, who holds high status on the team as a core member and part of the reason for the franchise’s historic success, went 0-10 from the field, including 0-6 from three.

Unfortunately, these poor performances have increasingly characterized Thompson’s game since the team’s last championship in 2022. In fact, head coach Steve Kerr benched the star shooting guard in February, only bringing him back to the starting lineup after a prolific hot streak late in the season. 

The streak cooled leading up to the play-in disaster. Since then, Thompson’s woes have only been compounded by the fact that his contract expires after this season, leaving the front office with the tough question of whether or not to keep the guard around.

Losing a player like Thompson may seem ridiculous to fans. After all, Thompson carved out a place in the history books with his incredible shooting ability, nicknamed a “Splash Brother” along with legend and fellow guard Steph Curry. 

Thompson occupies a special place in the hearts of Warriors fans, largely based on past achievements. With that being said, the equally beloved Curry still puts up incredible performances night in and night out, outpacing his former duo-mate. This provides the Warriors with a blueprint for contention: Give Steph help.

In that regard, the question becomes a lot simpler. Curry’s supermax contract occupies tens of millions of dollars in cap space. Coupled with the contract of facilitator and top defender Draymond Green, the money left is scarcer than that of other contending teams. 

Thompson is not worth max contract-level money anymore. While Thompson can still contribute on a championship roster with a return to top shooting form, there is no justification for handing him superstar money or minutes. It might seem disrespectful to offer a franchise stalwart a greatly reduced contract, but the Warriors should not stay bound to the star of a bygone era. 

Redirecting Thompson’s massive salary towards building a roster that compliments Curry, perhaps with the addition of a true star center or athletic defenders, especially wings, could make the team a much more formidable contender. The short-term emotional value of “running it back” pales in comparison to the sweetness of a championship, something that is still in reach for this Warriors team, whether that includes Thompson or not.