Harker community attends annual family picnic

Nicole Chen

JV Dance Troupe performs a leap during their segment of the Picnic show. This year, the Annual Harker Family and Alumni Picnic continued a long-standing tradition at the Blackford campus; this year’s event was penned ‘Picnic 66’, based on the iconic Route 66, as it was the event’s 66th year in operation.

by Megan Cardosi, Mahika Halepete

Students run around sporting picnic T-shirts and holding brightly colored smoothies, with smiles on their faces. Teachers stood behind booths, conversing with parents and students alike.

This year, the Annual Harker Family and Alumni Picnic continued a long-standing tradition at the Blackford campus; this year’s event was penned ‘Picnic 66’, based on the iconic Route 66, as it was the event’s 66th year in operation.

In the morning, performing groups from the Upper School, including Bel Canto, JV Dance troupe, Kinetic Krew and Downbeat, sang and danced for an audience of students, teachers and parents. Lower and middle school students also performed, in groups such as Harmonics, Dance Fusion and Dynamics, creating a show that integrated the entire Harker community. An engaging skit following student actors on a road trip introduced the acts during the performance. Harker’s administrators and pre-schoolers were featured in the storyline, as well.

Students participating in the show left school at 12 p.m. Friday in order to attend their tech rehearsal, in which all the groups had the opportunity to watch each other perform their numbers.

All boys dance group, Kinetic Krew performs their "Low Rider" hip-hop dance. This year, the Annual Harker Family and Alumni Picnic continued a long-standing tradition at the Blackford campus; this year’s event was penned ‘Picnic 66’, based on the iconic Route 66, as it was the event’s 66th year in operation.
Nicole Chen
All boys dance group, Kinetic Krew perform their “Low Rider” hip-hop dance. This year, the Annual Harker Family and Alumni Picnic continued a long-standing tradition at the Blackford campus; this year’s event was penned ‘Picnic 66’, based on the iconic Route 66, as it was the event’s 66th year in operation.

Students were looking forward to the picnic, even during the school week.

“I’ve gone almost every year since I was in kindergarten, and that’s because it’s just really fun and it makes me feel like a child again,” Shaya Zarkesh (11) said.

The picnic’s auction item area attracted many visitors, who bid for items such as a “Sleep-Under” for lower school students at the Bucknall campus and premier seats at Harker dance and theatre performances.

Some upper school clubs, including Green Team and DECA, used booths at the picnic to raise awareness about their organizations.

“Green Team is hosting a booth where you can play games, earn succulent plants and learn about saving the earth,” Green Team member Katrina Liou (10) said.

Students of all ages enjoyed spinning a wheel and answering questions about the environment.

“We had little 2 year olds, elementary students, and adults played too,” said Lauren Beede (9), who helped man the booth.

In the gym, students played ping-pong and hit baseballs into a net, while others gathered at roulette wheels with prizes ranging from wine to toys to food. After placing down a ticket on the number(s) of their choice, participants waited as the wheel came to a stop. Each round, the person who placed their ticket on the winning number excitedly selected their prize.

Outside, the blacktop area invited picnic attendees to participate in various games and activities, ran by parent volunteers and teachers. Students who won tickets could exchange them for prizes in the gym lobby. Next to the blacktop, younger students entered a petting zoo, a longstanding attraction of the picnic.

Overall, the picnic created an enjoyable experience with a variety of activities for students and their families, teachers, and alumni to enjoy themselves and interact with the Harker community.