Students and faculty dress up to celebrate Halloween

Sophomore+Dolan+Dworak+dressed+up+as+a+rainbow+unicorn.+Students+and+faculty+celebrated+Halloween+yesterday+by+dressing+up+in+costumes.+

Darren Gu

Sophomore Dolan Dworak dressed up as a rainbow unicorn. Students and faculty celebrated Halloween yesterday by dressing up in costumes.

by Catherine Huang and Darren Gu

As the bell rang to signal the beginning of school, upper school students and faculty members wearing onesies, makeup or other costumes made their way to class on Friday in celebration of Halloween.

Dressing up and wearing costumes on Halloween or on the Friday before are an annual tradition at the upper school.

Spirit competitions were held during both lunches. The competition determined the best costumes for the following categories: funny, scary, cute, best group, best overall and best faculty. This event followed the pumpkin carving spirit competition that was held on Wednesday during long lunch.

Many students dressed up as a group, as animals, tourists or superheroes.

Tong Wu (12) and her friends dressed up as rock, paper and scissors.

“I’m a pair of scissors. We have a group of four, so we searched on the internet, so we found rock, paper, scissors, [and] blank,” Tong Wu (12) said. “I went to the garage and got a cardboard box and then cut it out and then painted it, then I taped it to myself.”

Instead of wearing costumes, some students took this opportunity to coordinate outfits.

“I’m dressed up as a Scotsman because during the summer the Harker School went to Scotland for the Fringe Festival, and a bunch of my friends, we all bought kilts, so we’re dressed up as this,” Brandon Stoll (11) said.

Also common were scary or traditional Halloween costumes like skeletons, witches and cats.

“I’m a skeleton and I wore this costume because it was convenient considering we did this costume for Kinetic Krew,” Linus Li (10) said. “Also, seeing people wearing the same costume as you are especially since you’re in the same group, it’s nice to see, especially when everyone is being festive and it’s basically a part of the Harker tradition.”

Some students went trick or treating with their friends, while others went to parties or stayed home for the night. The UNICEF club went to downtown Los Gatos for a fundraiser.

For Harker students, Halloween is a time to have fun dressing up in creative costumes along with friends.