Inaugural MLK Evening explores diversity and equity

Emma Li
Ishan Mysore (10) sings a solo as a part of Festival Chorus’s performance. The choir performed the songs Tshotsholoza and I Dream a World at the end of the MLK Evening Celebration.

A soulful message delivered through song. A passionate speech connecting A.I. to the struggles of today’s youth. A calming orchestra ensemble and uplifting choir performance. These were only some of the various acts performed at Harker’s first MLK Evening Celebration, with the wide range of numbers in the setlist reflecting the event’s message of diversity. 

The MLK Evening Celebration was held in the Rothschild Performing Arts Center on Jan. 19. The event followed the same week’s Monday MLK Day of service in which more than 430 Harker students and faculty participated. Brian Davis, Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion considered the week “MLK Week,” with the Evening Celebration ending off five days of homage to Dr. King’s legacy.

Throughout the two-hour runtime, performers graced the Patil Theater’s stage with a variety of acts. Student Diversity Coalition (SDC) representatives Elie Ahluwalia (10) and Ariana Gauba (11) introduced each performance. Paying homage to MLK’s message of diversity, community and inclusion, acts ranged from musical performances to thought-provoking onstage interviews. Other performances included a choreographed dance and a spoken and sung performance by singer and songwriter Denzel Fields. 

Speaking before the Harker school about Dr. King was amazing… They’re extremely progressive, aware, and committed to thinking out loud, about difficult subjects and circumstances and ideas, and I felt quite at home

— Dr. Michael Dyson

Davis and Head of School Brian Yager opened with introductions to the event and reflections on inclusion and diversity in the modern day. To begin the show, Fern Biswas (11) performed the first act of the evening with “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”

“I have a lot to think about, to ponder,” audience member Letitia Burton said. “I have to do some more thinking, just reflecting on who Dr. King was. You know, separating the mythology of Doctor King and looking more at the reality, looking at Dr. King as a man and not as a symbol.”

To end the evening, Dr. Michael Dyson took the stage. A professor at Vanderbilt University, Dyson has authored various books about social rights like Political Correctness: The Munk Debates, a book that discusses how political correctness impacts free speech. Dyson spoke about the impact of Dr. King on the community’s everyday lives both critically and positively. 

“Speaking before the Harker school about Dr. King was amazing,” Dyson said. “I felt so warmly received. I didn’t have to try to explain stuff that people were hostile to. They’re extremely progressive, aware, and committed to thinking out loud, about difficult subjects and circumstances and ideas, and I felt quite at home.”

Though the first of its kind at Harker, this celebration of Dr. King is not Davis’s first, having organized similar celebrations at other schools in the past. However, he considers this year’s event a larger project than previous efforts, having started planning in summer of last year. 

“Our community is really open for these types of events and opportunities,” Davis said. “I wanted to do something that brought together many areas of the Harker community. I wanted to have different performances that really showcased the different aspects of Dr. King’s life through spoken word, through performance.”

Dyson delivers a speech about the current social climate and the state of equality in America. Discussing diversity, Dyson also reflected on Dr. King’s life with the themes of his speech. (Emma Li)

From its speeches to dances to spoken-word acts, the event’s showcases allowed vulnerability, unafraid to shine a light on political stances and disappointment in current conflicts in the world. 

“It’s great to see somebody [like Dr. Dyson] who is still passionate and dedicated to [the cause],” Lower School Divisional head Debra Cope said. “Even though we think we know so much about life and history, when we keep ourselves open as Dr. Dyson said; when we listen, we can learn so much more.”