Find nature’s stamp on “Postcard from Earth”

Visitors+to+the+Sphere+settle+into+their+seats+before+the+show.+Postcard+to+Earth+tells+the+story+of+two+astronauts%2C+Bryon+and+Fang.+
Ashley Mo
Visitors to the Sphere settle into their seats before the show. “Postcard to Earth” tells the story of two astronauts, Bryon and Fang.

The lights dim as I settle into my seat at the uppermost level of the Las Vegas Sphere. Below me, a sea of spectators stretches out, thousands of visitors anticipating the renowned “4D” experience. Chatter dies down as riveting music reverberates through the stadium, and the vast screen before me flickers to life with the title of the show, “Postcard from Earth.” With the entire arena bathed in a white glow, the screen fades into the opening scene: a circular gray spacecraft hurtling toward a distant planet.

Within the spacecraft, two figures come into view: astronauts Byron and Fang, dressed in pristine white spacesuits and oxygen masks. Bodies unmoving, they are strapped to machines with eyes closed shut. As the spacecraft lands on the unfamiliar planet, their harnesses automatically detach, and they both gasp for air. Eyes remaining closed, they listen as a commanding voice narrates their backstory, echoes resonating throughout the venue.

Darren Aronofsky’s “Postcard from Earth” treats viewers to 16k resolution views of landscape and life. The Sphere’s size allows for both immersion and an incredible level of detail. (Ashley Mo)

The narrative explains that Bryon and Fang are on a quest to investigate a distant planet, but their memories of home have been erased upon their arrival. When the two astronauts still do not wake, the narrator urges them to recover their recollection of Earth and chants, “On your next breath, remember. Remember Earth.”

As soon as those words are uttered, the entire ceiling suddenly lights up with a breathtaking panoramic view of the Arctic mountains, sparking a collective gasp from the audience. Looking around, I marvel at the bright snow that blankets towering peaks and clouds that shroud the azure sky. The immersive experience is so realistic that for a moment, I find myself transported into the scenery. Instinctively, I reach for my phone to capture the view, hoping to preserve the beauty of the moment.

Just as I snap a picture, I’m whisked away to a different landscape. One moment I’m floating above the Grand Canyon, and the next I’m submerged deep in the ocean, swimming alongside swift stingrays and bioluminescent jellyfish. As ravines and hills sweep past me, I have the sensation that I’m soaring above the ground.

Continuing, the show presents a montage of animals in habitats like rainforests and deserts. From monkeys to spiders, lions to caterpillars, each moment immerses me in the lives of different creatures, unveiling insights into Earth’s rich biodiversity. The Sphere’s remarkable 16k resolution not only introduces me to unfamiliar species but also allows me to perceive the most minute details — from the gleam in a grasshopper’s eyes to the intricate spiky texture of its legs.

The storyline pivots to humanity’s impact on our planet, contrasting with the multitude of life just showcased. It depicts how we morphed Earth to meet our materialistic desires, whether that be through building churches, homes and even spacecrafts to explore new frontiers. And eventually, with newfound desire and innovation, we ventured beyond Earth’s boundaries to other planets.

Visitors vicariously experience a lantern festival in the Sphere. “Postcard to Earth” is shown twice a day on the largest high-definition LED screen in the world. (Ashley Mo)

The film then returns to Byron and Fang’s story. Now with their regained recollections of Earth, they hope to bring life to the barren new planet. Together, they employ technology from their ship that transforms the dry surface of the planet into flourishing greenery with life blooming from every corner.

As claps and cheers thunder from around me, signaling the show’s end, I find myself reflecting on the unforgettable experience inside the Sphere, which opened its doors on Sep. 29, 2023 and welcomed the public to the “Postcard from Earth” show on Oct. 8. In addition to the Sphere’s 18,600 person seating, the screen is the largest high-definition LED screen in the world, making it an unparalleled viewing experience.

The jaw-dropping views and the variety of animals and people shown inspired me to open my eyes to the biodiversity around me, and I left with a larger awareness of humanity’s mark on Earth

Overall, I would give this show and experience a 4.75/5. The jaw-dropping views and the variety of animals and people shown inspired me to open my eyes to the biodiversity around me, and I left with a larger awareness of humanity’s mark on Earth. Despite the slightly overly bright lighting and pricey tickets, “Postcard from Earth” left a lasting impression on me, and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Vegas.