Janda and Muldrew hold LIFE assembly for freshmen

The freshmen class listen to Janda talk about the importance of one’s identity, and privileges and opportunities. The LIFE assembly was held for the freshmen today during the assembly meeting period.

LIFE took place yesterday for the freshmen class during the assembly period. Teachers Mark Janda and Lola Muldrew led the assembly, talking to the students on the topics of privilege, opportunity and identity.

Students first gathered in the Nichols Atrium to learn more about each of the concepts, and then were led out to the basketball courts to do an activity. Sitting in their advisory groups, each student received a small sheet of paper with a number line on it. Janda then read out questions where each student had to either move forward or backward on the number line if their answer was ‘yes’.

Muldrew, who is an Upper School math teacher, reflects on the assembly.

“I would say that it’s a beginning conversation. We want to be talking about this because these are things that are part of who we are. And in order for us to understand and support each other, we have to navigate these waters of different identities and what that means in the world,” she said.

Janda, who teaches history at the Upper School, also commented on how a personal experience that occurred in his sophomore year in high school later influenced his own personal identity as a member of the community.

“For me, the reason that I do this work is because an African American kid on my basketball team was part of a voluntary busing program in order to desegregate the schools of metropolitan St. Louis,” he said. “I had never heard of such a thing, and that was the moment where I realized there was a difference between being black and being white in America that I didn’t understand, and I’ve been trying to figure that and related issues out ever since.”

Freshmen also state their opinions about today’s activity involving the number line and questions.

“I think that the questions were pretty well formated. None of them were blunt enough for it to be triggering to anyone or to bring about like severe flashbacks,” Emily Chen (9) said. “But I didn’t really like the number line thing though, because I feel like the point is to not define people by numbers.”

Sophomores had a LIFE session with a guest speaker, juniors had eagle buddies, and seniors also had a LIFE assembly with Ms. Keller and Mr. Irvine.