Looking into the season of Lent

Ria Gandhi

Erika Olsen (12) eats a bowl of pasta salad and fruits during lunch. Many students have chosen to make healthier food choices during Lent.

It’s pretty easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of school, drama, relationships and family. Lent remains an annual forty day period of Christian observance, starting this year on Feb. 18 and ending on April 2, with people from all around the world taking the time to step back from their daily lives and devote themselves to service, fasting and prayer.

The time of abstinence commences each year on Ash Wednesday, where resolutions are made for the next forty days, excluding Sundays, and stretches to Easter Sunday.

Over the years, Lent has spread to non-Christians as well, with people from a variety of religious backgrounds deciding to partake in actions that will allow them to express their appreciation of life to God.

Lent today reflects current trends and policies, with some observing the holiday in unconventional ways by deciding to reduce energy consumption to fight global warming for the forty day period instead of solely focusing on renouncing a type of food or habit.

Students at Harker have a diverse range of religious beliefs, yet influence from peers or a desire to spark a change in their persona has led to many individuals taking the decision to observe the season of Lent.

Many students have made the choice to adjust their behavior for this period of time, hoping it will lead to a positive change in their personality.

I am not going to buy what I don’t need, check my phone as often, and put myself down,

— Rachel Renteria (11)

Others chose to refrain from eating certain types of food in an attempt to make healthier choices.

“I’m giving up Cheetos for Lent so I can be healthier,” Anuja Shah (9) said. “I love Cheetos, but one bag has too many calories.”

While the idea of repenting vices and bad habits has remained prevalent among individuals at Harker, many students do not believe in Lent.

“I do not believe in Lent because I’m not religious,” Kathy Duan (10) said. “If I had friends that wanted to celebrate Lent, I might give it a chance and try it out.”

Whether or not one chooses to observe Lent, the spread of this season to even non-Christians has shown the evolution of this religious observance over the years.