Keller’s Korner – 10/10

NHS inducted new members, sophomore and seniors met with Eagle Buddies, and students and faculty wore red for National Coming Out Day this week.

The 26 new NHS members inducted on Tuesday were primarily sophomores. Applicants had to submit their awards, accomplishments, extra-curriculars, service projects, and GPA. They also wrote four brief essays and requested recommendations from three adults, at least two of which were Harker teachers.

A panel of teachers reviewed each application and selected society members based on how they upheld the four pillars of NHS: scholarship, leadership, character, and service.

At the ceremony, inductees and their parents listened to speeches by NHS officers, each of whom represented a different pillar, as well as NHS advisor Mike Pistacchi.

“As officers, we were proud to celebrate Harker students’ commitment to the four pillars of NHS, which embody our school’s central values as well,” Agata Sorotokin, Vice President of NHS, said.

Agata’s speech focussed on the pillar of character. She has no doubt that the inductees will showcase the pillars of NHS throughout their lives, in and out of Harker.

At the end of the ceremony, each inductee lit a candle and was presented a certificate by Head of School Butch Keller.

Sophomores Chetana Kalidindi and Sneha Bhetanabhotla smile with their eagle buddy. The class of 2017 travelled to the Bucknall campus to visit their eagle buddies for the first time on Thursday.
Meilan Steimle

On Thursday, sophomores travelled to the Lower School to meet their eagle buddies for the first time, while seniors reunited with their eagle buddies at the Upper School.

“I had two buddies–one that I’ve had all along named Gigi and a new student named Catherine,” said Helen Wu (12). “It was fun getting to know my new buddy and catching up with my old one.”

Seniors and their fifth grade buddies ate lunch together on Rosenthal field.

Sophomores, whose eagle buddies are in third grade, ate pizza and cookies with their buddies on the Lower School field.

“It was really fun,” said Matthew Cheng (10). “It was nice to be able to place a face on this little kid.”

Freshmen and Juniors attended a life session and ate lunch at the Upper School.

Students and faculty alike wore red to represent themselves as part of or an ally of the LGBTQ community on Friday.

Students wear red for national coming out day on Friday. This is the 26th annual national coming out day.
Meilan Steimle

National Coming Out Day first became an event in 1988, when it was founded by Robert Eichberg. This year marks its 26th anniversary.

At the Upper School, the day was publicized during School Meeting by Department Chair of Mathematics Bradley Stoll and Performing Arts teacher Karl Kuehn.

“I was very impressed to see so many student and faculty members wearing red last Friday,” said Kuehn. “ I think it was a fantastic visual reminder as to how supportive and embracing our Harker community is. Hopefully those living in fear will see that Harker is truly a safe place to be yourself.”