Keller’s Korner – 9 /12

Meilan Steimle

Parents peruse food and check in stations at Back to School Day in Nichols Hall. Each parent followed his or her child’s schedule throughout the day.

School activities started to take off during the second week of school, with students attending Club Fair and a girls water polo tournament, while parents went to back to school day.

Club fair was bigger than ever before this year, with 56 total clubs and programs represented. Students who attended could sign up for clubs and activities and sample the variety of snacks provided. Meanwhile, Guys’ Gig performed on stage in the gym where the fair was held.

“I think that club fair is very unique and exciting,” said Butch Keller. “I’m working with student council to try to create time in the day for clubs to meet. I like club fair and I like the emphasis that our school puts on student run activities.”

Girls Water Polo hosted a tournament at Harker last Friday and Saturday. Their end record was 1:2, with losses to Carlmont and Homestead and a win against San Lorenzo Valley.

This map shows the locations of club boards in the gym. of Eric Kallbrier sent it to students the day before club fair to improve navigation.
Meilan Steimle
This map shows the locations of club boards in the gym. Eric Kallbrier sent it to students the day before club fair to improve navigation.

“Our main struggle is starting the games, as we usually get down by a few points at the beginning then go back and forth,” said team member Delaney Baxter (12). “Our later quarters are always much stronger, especially our defense as we help each other out with guarding and focus on thwarting shots. The league games we’ve played so far have been against beatable teams, and I think the next time we play them we could definitely win.”

Parents met their children’s teachers for the first time last Saturday for Back to School Day, with parents following their children’s’ schedules and listening to a brief course summary from each teacher.

“I still remember the time when my kids were little and how important it was for me to see who are their teachers and have an idea of the classes they are in, and, now, I try to anticipate the questions the parents might ask me,” said Galina Tchourilova, a french teacher who is new this year. “For example, I include advices on what students should do if they are having difficulties, or, what the resources are available for students who want to get additional practice in the language.