How to Survive Freshman Year

To avoid becoming the stereotypical frightened freshman, follow the tips in this article.

Special to Harker Aquila

Though freshman year may seem daunting, these simple tips will allow you to experience a more enjoyable and successful year.

1) Try everything: Well, not everything, but freshman year is the one chance students have to experiment with numerous activities and clubs. As their workload increases during sophomore and junior years, students are left with less time to participate in extracurricular activities. Freshman year provides the opportunity for students to find what they are really passionate about. Also, if you join an activity and realize you do not enjoy it, stop. Immediately. Do not commit yourself to an activity that you despise for four years.

2) Make friends with your teachers: Shockingly enough, teachers do not bite, so do not be afraid to ask them questions. Chances are, several students are thinking of the same question you are and are just waiting for someone to speak up. Take advantage of extra help and study sessions to prepare for tests and do homework. If you are struggling in a particular class, you can always reach out and ask for help. Teachers are always happy to assist student. Also, let teachers know of special circumstances — for example, if you’re commuting from Nichols to Shah or vice versa, be sure to alert your teacher to avoid being marked late repeatedly.

3) Socialize: Yes, schoolwork is difficult and time-consuming. Yes, you are extremely busy. No, you do not need to become a hermit. Make new friends and cherish the time and memories you share with them. You can socialize and enjoy your time in school while still performing at a high academic level. Balancing work and play is a skill that is essential for life, and high school is the perfect place to learn it.

4) Sleepy: A healthy lifestyle is key to success in school and life in general. Aspects of a healthy lifestyle include eating well, regular exercise, and the most important component: sleep. Contrary to popular belief, sleeping less and studying more will not make you a better student.  You simply cannot perform well surviving off three to four hours of sleep per night. You have time to sleep, and if you somehow do not think you do, make the time. This applies to exercise as well—twenty minutes a day is really all it takes.

5) Do not procrastinate: Procrastination is a habit that feeds off itself. Avoid it by using a planner, keeping track of assignments, and breaking larger projects into small pieces as opposed to cramming for a test the night before. If you simply cannot avoid temptation, try placing your laptop or phone in a separate room while working on homework or studying. If laptops are necessary for homework, use extensions such as StayFocusd or Block site to ban unrelated websites.

6) Befriend upperclassmen: Upperclassmen are extremely valuable resources. They were all nervous freshmen at one point, and will understand the difficulties and stresses of freshman year. Do not be afraid to reach out to them, whether through Link Crew, clubs, or other activities. Upperclassmen can provide advice and insight into sports, activities, courses, and more.