Debate: Update on TOC and Nichols Invitational Tournament

The Speech and Debate team has faced success over the past few months with students collecting awards from various tournaments. The team now prepares to host the Howard and Diana Nichols Invitational Tournament on March 4-6.

At the University of California Berkeley tournament, the debate team placed ninth out of around 210 schools nationwide. 132 Middle and Upper School debaters attended the tournament, and many earned awards. For Public Forum Debate, the team of Aneesh Chona (10) and Anuj Sharma (10) were named co-champions of the tournament, while the team of Akshay Jagadeesh (11) and Rohan Bopardikar (11) reached semi-finals (top 4).

Meanwhile, Roshni Bhatnagar (12) reached the quarterfinals (top 8) for Lincoln-Douglas Debate; in Congressional Debate, Warren Zhang (10), Michael Tsai (12), and Muralikrishna Joshi (11) advanced to semifinals (top 70) while Kathir Sundarraj (10) reached the finals (top 20). James Seifert (12) won the championship for Dramatic Interpretation and reached semifinals for Original Oratory (top 14).

“It was extremely fulfilling to finally have gotten to such a high stage in the tournament,” Kathir said. “Ultimately [our success] just shows how awesome our debate program is and how awesome our coaches are.”

Several students have even qualified for the Tournament of Champions (TOC) in May. Debaters consider TOC as the most prominent high school debate tournament, for which students must earn at least two bids from TOC qualifying tournaments in order to attend. Anuj and Aneesh, Akshay and Rohan, Aakash Jagadeesh (11) and Frederic Enea (11), Ziad Jawadi (12) and Reyhan Kader (10), and Katherine Paseman (9) and Stephanie Lu (9) are the five Public Forum teams that qualified. Roshni qualified for Lincoln-Douglas Debate while Michael and Warren earned spots at the TOC for Congressional Debate. They will be travelling to the University of Kentucky on the first weekend of May to compete hundreds of other students from around the nation.

“[Qualifying for TOC] feels good because you know you are competing with the best of the best all over the country, and it’s an honor to be going,” Reyhan said.

Aneesh, who qualified for last year’s TOC with his partner Anuj, still feels the excitement of qualifying for the TOC and looks forward to attending the tournament again with hopes of finishing at a higher round.

“[The TOC] was honestly the best experience I have had in debate,” said Aneesh. “When Anuj and I became the first team to fully qualify for the 2010-2011 season in November, I felt satisfied. I am looking forward to the TOC this spring and the challenge it will entail.”

The teams’ spots in the TOC can be credited to not only individual determination and effective mentorship but also support from fellow debaters and partners.

“Katherine is one of the main reasons I have done so well. We work very well together as a team,” Stephanie said of her Public Forum partner. “And the rest of the debate team, especially junior and senior debaters who have been extremely successful, have given me advice on not only how to do better in rounds but to manage debate as a whole as well.”

The qualifying teams continue to hone their skills at other tournaments as they await the release of the TOC debate topics.

Meanwhile, the Speech and Debate coaches continue to arrange for the Nichols Invitational Tournament, which will be hosted at the Upper School campus.

“One reason we host the tournament is to give back to the speech and debate committee,” said Jonathan Peele, Debate Coach of Congressional Debate and Independent Events. “Other schools host us all year long, so we want to have our friends over for a weekend.”

The debate coaches are expecting around 300 debaters to attend this national tournament.