H1N1 Precautionary

Dr. Scott Filler

Dr. Scott Filler, Professor of Infectious Disease at Harbor UCLA

The last major outbreak of H1N1, more commonly known as swine flu, was in 2009, but the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) confirm that H1N1 has returned.

According to the CDC, flu outbreaks are usually most deadly among the elderly and infirmed, but swine flu is somewhat unique in that it targets young, healthy people. Of the almost 4,000 hospitalized for H1N1 nationwide, 61 percent were 18-64 year-olds.

Dr. Scott Filler, Professor of Infectious Disease at Harbor UCLA, advises students to be careful. “H1N1 has killed over 300 in California this year, including one of my patients.” He explains that the flu season is waning, so it is too late for shots to be available or effective. However, there are still precautionary measures that can prevent an infection.

1.) Sanitize – During flu season, hand sanitizer is essential. Old-fashioned soap and water are still required to clean off particulate matter like dirt, but sanitizer is great for eliminating viruses on the hands. It is important to constantly sanitize, especially after sneezing. “It turns out that a huge amount of common infections are actually spread by people touching things,” says Filler, “then their mouth or nose or eyes.” Even if hands are washed before meals and after going to the bathroom, it is still advisable to use hand sanitizer three to four additional times per day to spot check.

2.) Nutrition – Many websites and self-health magazines claim that certain foods (tea, yogurt, garlic) boost the immune system. Do not be fooled; most doctors agree that the effects of these foods are largely made up or negligible. “In America, where people have enough food, diet doesn’t make much of a difference,” says Dr. Filler “but it’s been shown that in malnourished kids, vitamin A helps prevent infection.” Just make an effort to stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet.

3.) Sharing is Not Caring – Do not share food or drinks, even when using separate utensils and straws. This seems fairly obvious, but it is still one of the most common ways that infections are spread. Exchange of bodily fluids is an easy way for viruses to enter the body. Do not share drinks, even with separate straws.

4.) Sleep – Get lots of sleep. Sleep is one of the best ways to fight off infection. Chugging that third cup of coffee at 2:00 a.m. cannot replace how well your body repairs itself during sleep. Sleep is mentally and physically restorative, and the immune system works significantly better after a full night of rest. So even though it sounds cheesy, sleep is the one of the most effective ways to prevent infection — and it is free.

5.) Isolation – Stay away from slightly sick people. Small colds may seem harmless, but they can be very dangerous during flu season. First of all, people with “harmless colds” could easily have an early stage of H1N1. “The problem with influenza,” explains Dr. Filler “is that people are infectious before they’re highly symptomatic.” But also, contracting a minor infection can weaken the immune system, leaving the body vulnerable to the flu. It’s just not worth the risk.

Of course, try not to be paranoid. Do not ostracize friends after they sneeze, and do not wear latex gloves 24/7. If you keep up decent hand hygiene and use common sense, you should be able to stay healthy.

Sources:

http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00359.asp

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24903471/santa-clara-county-two-more-deaths-due-swine

Kaiser Permanente