Homecoming results announced by spirit presidents

Spirit Co-Presidents Julia Wang (11) and Katy Sanchez (11) make an announcement in school meeting about the results from homecoming week. Homecoming week was September 23 - 27.
Spirit Co-Presidents Julia Wang (11) and Katy Sanchez (11) make an announcement in school meeting about the results from homecoming week. Homecoming week was September 23 – 27.

Spirit Club co-Presidents Julia Wang (11) and Katy Sanchez (11) officially announced the results of Homecoming week during the school meeting on Monday, Oct. 7.

Seniors came in first place, followed by the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. The spirit board in the main hallway displayed the rankings of each class for the various spirit events throughout homecoming week. Seniors won first place in most spirit competitions, but other grades managed to steal the spotlight for certain events.

“It was pretty expected. I kind of expected us to do a little bit better, but juniors and seniors are [very] spirited. At least we beat the freshmen,” sophomore Rohan Desikan said.

Despite the expected results, students still hoped that their class would come on top.

“They were kind of predictable, but also kind of disappointing,” Archana Podury (11) said. “I was hoping we would place first because we worked really hard on our eagle, but we also thought our float would be last, but we got second, and our skit was first, so I guess it was a balance.”

Students also enjoyed watching their class work together and show spirit.

“I think it’s awesome that we were able to pull it together to actually get first place because in the past years we haven’t really been spirited, but it’s cool that since it’s senior year, everyone was excited,” Christine Lee (12) said.

Freshmen Ryan Vaughan and Emre Ezer both felt that as freshmen, it was not a surprise that they would come in fourth place.

“Our class isn’t very spirited compared to the other classes,” Ryan said. He felt that this was probably only because they have not had the chance to grow as a class.

Because homecoming came earlier, each class had less time to prepare for spirit week.

“This is the first year we were doing this so we didn’t really know what we were doing. I guess that was a factor of it,” Emre said.

The next class competition, the annual dodgeball game, will occur on Oct. 23 during long lunch.