Sophomores continue winning streak in Duct Tape Regatta

Sophomore Aaron Huang rows the sophomore boat to victory in the Duct Tape Regatta for the second year in a row. The competition took place in the pool on Thursday, April 25.

Encouraging screams echoed throughout the Singh Aquatic Center as the classes cheered on their boats in the duct tape regatta during today’s spirit competition.

The sophomores retained their first-place position for the second year in a row, while the juniors came in second, the seniors in third, and the freshmen in fourth.

An annual tradition, the duct tape regatta is held every Spirit Week on the day before the rally, weather permitting. Each class designs and constructs a boat made of only cardboard and duct tape. The classes do not have the opportunity to test their boats before the competition.

Four rowers from each class guided the boat; the boats had to traverse four pool lengths to finish the race. As the race started, the juniors and sophomores were neck-and-neck; however, the sophomores pulled ahead, as they and the juniors left the seniors and freshmen in the dust.

The seniors had to resort to swimming and dragging their boat along behind them; the freshmen pushed their boat across the pool. Both classes completed the race long after the sophomores and juniors had returned to dry ground.

“I felt like I needed to win for the class, and I feel that we performed very well. The boat was really amazing and well-made, and I feel that that was a huge factor,” said Maya Nandakumar (10), one of the rowers.

The seniors, whose boat immediately sank when the first rower climbed on, believed that their boat was not the sturdiest or best built.

“We basically swam the whole way, and I feel that our boat wasn’t very reinforced and was very flimsy; the center of balance wasn’t quite right, so when someone sat on it, it tipped over,” Erik Andersen (12) said.

After all the teams finished the race, each class gathered volunteer representatives to earn extra spirit points by belly flopping into the pool. Teachers and students, some fully clothed, jumped into the pool while other students cheered.

“I did [the belly flop] in the past, and I enjoyed showing some class spirit. It was fun – the water was warm, and it was great to do something to support the class. It’s all about having a good time,” senior class dean Jeffrey Draper said.

Spirit week will conclude with the rally tomorrow.