Classes take on sleeping bag relay race during first day of Spirit Week

Junior Vincent Lin screams for joy as he rounds the corner while being cheered by class dean Victor Adler. The sophomore came out victorious in this second round of the event.

Ready, set, go! On Monday, April 22, the freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior class groups dragged a sleeping bag with a teammate inside while weaving through a row of cones.

Throughout Spirit Week, a class competition is held during lunch based on the theme of the day. As Monday was pajama day, a sleeping bag race seamlessly matched the theme and clothing of students.

During the event, six students from each grade formed three pairs. One student had to crawl into a sleeping bag while the other held it from the outside, pulling the sleeping bag and weaving in and out of cones. Each group went down towards the basketball hoop of the gym and back to the starting line before the next group of students started.

“Once all three pairs finished, they sat down at the finish line and that was how they let the judges know they had finished,” Spirit Club President Andre Tran (12) said.

Seniors emerged victorious during the first lunch, while sophomores won the second round of events during the second lunch.

Spirit representative for the class of 2013, Bobby Kahlon (12), stressed his enthusiasm about the event.

“My favorite part of this spirit event was the part where we won,” he said. “I think it was a really creative event, and I feel like it really challenged our classes to pick the best lineup to win. It was a challenging and well thought out event.”

For the remainder of the week, students will continue to strive for the coveted first place in the multitude of spirit events.