Campus grieves shooting death of longtime college counselor

Sandy Padgett was the director of the college counseling program at the Upper School. Current juniors visited the college counseling office to schedule appointments and meet with their counselors.

The shooting death of longtime college counseling director Sandy Padgett yesterday brought the campus community together to hear the shocking news from Upper School Division Head Butch Keller.

Padgett, who joined the Upper School in 1998, founded the college counseling program and guided numerous students through their college application process.

After a 15 minute meeting with the teachers and staff, Keller came into the gym to announce the news to the students. A general feeling of somberness was seen on the faces of students and teachers alike as Keller began speaking about the heartbreaking “loss to our community.”

Although the school was not informed of the circumstances around Padgett’s passing, Keller stated that Padgett passed away Sunday, April 21 in a shooting incident at her home and that further information would be announced as it was received. The report was met with a collective gasp by students, followed by tears from many of those who knew her.

Immediately after the 2:45 assembly, students were dismissed from school and all after school activities were made optional.

As listed in Head of School Chris Nikoloff’s email to the community, school counselors as well as outside resources are available for students and families.

Center for Living with Dying
(408) 243-0222
1671 The Alameda, Suite 201
San Jose, CA 95126
www.billwilsoncenter.org

Bill Wilson Center
(408) 243-0222
3490 The Alameda
Santa Clara, CA 95050-4333

KARA Grief Counseling Agency
(650) 321-5272
Jim Bronson, Director of Community Outreach
457 Kingsley Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
www.kara-grief.org