Interact Week: Club fundraises for Bangladeshi schools

Students choose from a variety of frozen yogurt flavors and toppings sold by Interact outside of Manzanita after school. The club raised money for schools and libraries in Bangladesh.

Bright green and blue cartons of frozen yogurt lined a table outside Manzanita Hall as students gathered around to buy Pinkberry, one of the many items sold by Interact for its club week.

A club new to the Upper School this year, Interact focuses on expanding community service in the community. This past week the club has been working on its international project by raising money for schools and libraries in Bangladesh through an organization called Room to Read.

The club has been selling homemade baked goods, Pinkberry frozen yogurt, smoothies and milkshakes during lunch and after school along with Five Guys burgers during long lunch.

Interact’s fundraisers differ from most club fundraisers because the club sells products from franchises such as Five Guys and Pinkberry rather than only homemade goods.

“It’s really creative and different, and I like having the variety of the fundraiser because normally we only get baked goods,” Savi Joshi (10) said. “It is really nice to get burgers and froyo, and we were able to eat during lunch too, so that was a nice alternative.”

Many members are pleased with the success of the club so far as it has accomplished some of the major goals.

“We have successfully raised tons of money for our international Interact project, and we have made somewhat of a name for ourselves in the local Interact scene,” Activities Coordinator Alan Soetikno (12) said. “As a club, we are constantly going to Interact meetings with other schools and participating in community service.”

The club hopes to raise more than $1000 through the various fundraisers throughout the week.