Quick tips for effective studying

With loads of coursework and extracurriculars, studying for APs may appear overwhelming. Temper your stress by remembering a few easy tips to effective studying.

With AP exams just around the corner, a number of students have begun to augment their studying to prepare. Although it may seem that time is scarce in our busy lives, effective studying for a short while goes a long way, as opposed to hours of mindless work. With a few tips, one can exploit every opportunity to get studying done and have time left over for other activities.

Eliminate distractions

Distractions often spring from environment. Needless to say, sitting in the middle of the living room where one can hear the steam-cooker in the kitchen and reruns of Friends on the television is not ideal. Find a quiet space to focus and quickly tread through the material.

Often, as students, we create our own diversions with cellphones, computers, and other technology available at our fingertips. Try to avoid listening to music, flipping through social networking sites, and texting. Even if it seems that these distractions only steal away two or three minutes, they compound. Eliminating these distractions will help to keep focused.

Create a study schedule

Not to say that one should spend too much time mapping out every minute, but a well-thought-out study schedule often keeps goals in perspective by measuring milestones along the way, particularly when tackling more than one AP test. It is imperative not to set unreasonable standards, such as allocating too little time to finish a task. Be practical, and the process will not seem as overwhelming.

Don’t be afraid to ask for advice

If the material is not clear, do not hesitate to ask others for help. Older students, teachers, and even peers in the same course are available to resolve any issues or discrepancies. Do not suffer through a dense textbook alone. Email teachers, call friends, or talk to siblings; these assets are priceless in giving words of wisdom, tips and tricks, or general advice.

Take study breaks when necessary

Do not go for hours at a time without a snack, a stretch, or a break. Even if only for a few minutes, take the time to relax and revitalize before diving back in. This is not to say one should spend hours on end diverted from schoolwork. The study schedule coupled with the distraction-free space will keep the breaks in perspective.

With these tips, the study load will be much more manageable when broken off piece by piece. Attack it with vigor, focus, and drive, and it will be much less painful than expected. Capitalizing on study time also means finishing quickly and having more time to relax and enjoy what is left of break in sunny California.