What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?

Greeting+cards+are+simple+ways+to+thank+those+who+matter+most.+A+lovely+card+with+a+thoughtful+message+will+leave+everybody+feeling+special.+
Greeting cards are simple ways to thank those who matter most. A lovely card with a thoughtful message will leave everybody feeling special.

With Thanksgiving looming, students expressed gratitude for a variety of aspects in their life, ranging from their families to the Internet. Out of 130 students polled, the top three selections were family with 24 percent of the votes, school with 19 percent, and friends with 17 percent.

Family
The largest number of students felt thankful for their families and the encouragement they provide. Several students believe that in times of struggle, their families remain a constant, comforting group. Some also describe their families as motivational and appreciate their support.

“I’m really lucky to have a family that will always support me and my dreams,” Sahana Narayan (9) said.

Families, especially parents, often perform a lot of tasks without receiving any acknowledgement. The little things parents do, such as driving their children to school, are often overlooked. This Thanksgiving, consider conveying thanks for parents and siblings by treating them to a luxurious breakfast in bed or doing an extra load of laundry.

Education
Students are also grateful to be able to attend school. Regardless of all the stress caused by homework and tests, students still think that quality education is a privilege which they are fortunate to have. In addition, many students feel that the Upper School provides a unique environment filled with various academic possibilities.

“The fact that I go to Harker gives me opportunities that students in other schools might not have,” Arthur Shau (11) said.

Teachers also deserve to be recognized. A simple “Thank you” card will go a long way and is sure to touch the hearts of educators.

Friendship
Finally, students voiced gratitude for their friendships. Several students believe that their friendships have strengthened through difficult times. Many students also compared their friends to a family at school.

“I’m grateful for [the] friends who have stayed by my side through thick and thin. That’s something rare, and worth celebrating,” Joseph Wang (12) said.

Thank friends by telling them how much their friendship means. Friends will appreciate the thought and sincerity behind any gift, but a heartfelt gesture is all the more special.

These are not the only three things for which the student body is thankful for. A noticeable minority is thankful for life, food, and of course, the Internet. Take into consideration ways to thank others, and give people the recognition they deserve this Thanksgiving.