New student feature series: Brandon Aguilar

Sophomore Brandon Aguilar joined the Upper School this year from Prospect High School. Though he has faced challenges during the transition, he appreciates the sense of community on campus.

Each year new students join the community and help perpetuate a diversity of passions, experiences, and aspirations that flourish on campus. Reflecting on their first couple months of attending the Upper School, sophomores and juniors share their backgrounds and their stories of adjusting to a new environment.

Transferring from Prospect High School, sophomore Brandon Aguilar joined the Upper School community this year ready to experiment with new academic and extracurricular experiences.

His main motivation for switching schools was the strong academic program offered at the Upper School.

“My parents thought that it was a great opportunity for me to strive for the future,” he said. “I also wanted to set a good example for my sister, who still doesn’t know yet what it means to be ahead of the class.”

Brandon recognized the difficulty level of the classes to be the hardest part about being a new student. Although he struggled with the transition, he has ultimately found that they challenge him and allow him to learn more.

“It’s been very overwhelming with all the new challenges that have come up between the classes,” he said. “They ask more of you than usually what classes from Prospect asked. They require more time from you to put into them and more effort.”

As a new student, Brandon decided to try out a few new extracurricular activities as well. He is an athlete on the soccer team and a member of the Cancer Awareness Club. Since he hopes to be a doctor in the future, he plans on becoming a part of the Medical Club. He also said that joining the football team as a part of the offensive and defensive line in the beginning of the year has helped him settle into school life more smoothly.

“[The team] got me to be more social. They’ve been like brothers to me,” he said.

He has noted a pervasive sense of community throughout the campus to be one of the major differences between the Upper School and schools that he has attended in the past.

“It’s very interesting to see how everyone gets along between different grades. You still see seniors talking to freshmen,” he said. “The community is more friendly.”

Brandon’s favorite part about being a new student at the Upper School has been meeting new people and observing dynamics within the community.