Prominent third party candidates vie for popular vote

As the national spotlight shone on two men this week, numerous independent politicians sparred for a slice of the limelight and the popular vote.

Apart from Democratic and Republican Party nominees Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, several other politicians ran for President of the United States as third-party candidates on individual platforms.

Two weeks ago, the day after the final presidential debate between Obama and Romney, the Free and Equal Elections Foundation held a debate for these oft-overlooked candidates. Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party, Jill Stein of the Green Party, Rocky Anderson of the Justice Party, and Virgil Goode of the Constitution Party debated each other in an event moderated by former television personality Larry King.

“Voting for third-party candidates is silly, since most votes go to the Democratic or Republican Party,” Srikar Pyda (11) said. “Though they have good viewpoints, due to the two-party system, they won’t ever get elected.”

All of the prominent third-party candidates have significant political experience in either the legislative or executive branches. Johnson was a two-term governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003, and although he attempted to run for President as a Republican candidate, he was excluded from the GOP primary debates due to low poll numbers. He then withdrew his candidacy for the Republican nomination last year and began running for the Libertarian nomination.

Meanwhile, Stein ran unsuccessfully for governor of Massachusetts twice, and her only political experience comes from her time as a representative for Lexington’s town meeting. Anderson served as mayor of Salt Lake City between 2000 and 2008 as a member of the Democratic Party but switched his affiliation to the Justice Party last year. Between 1997 and 2009, Goode served six terms as a member of the House of Representatives from Virginia, switching his party affiliation between Democratic, Independent, and Republican through his service before joining the Constitution Party in 2010.

According to the Free and Equal Elections Foundation, a candidate must reach at least 15 percent in multiple national polls to be included in the debates. Since none of the four have reached that threshold, the foundation hosted a debate for the four of them to participate in so voters learn more about each candidates’ viewpoints on key issues.

Though none garnered an electoral college vote, Johnson was the leader among third-party candidates with around one percent of the popular vote, according to Google’s Election Tracker.