Seniors place first in this year’s Homecoming events

Seniors+including+Eric+Zhang%2C+Richard+Fan%2C+Nikhil+Panu%2C+and+Josh+Tien+march+with+a+Wildcats+sign+at+the+Homecoming+Parade.+The+class+of+2013+came+in+first+for+this+years+Homecoming+Week.+
Seniors including Eric Zhang, Richard Fan, Nikhil Panu, and Josh Tien march with a Wildcats sign at the Homecoming Parade. The class of 2013 came in first for this year’s Homecoming Week.

After a week of Disney costumes, skits, and car-bashing, Spirit Club President Andre Tran (12) announced the results of Homecoming at today’s school meeting. The seniors came in first, sophomores second, juniors third, and freshmen last.

Classes accumulated points by participating in the rally last Friday, the car-bashing at the football game, and various spirit competitions during lunches. In addition, the scores they received on their eagles, floats, and skits contributed to the results.

Spirit Club allowed the teachers and faculty who are not associated with the four classes to judge the events and gave them criteria by which to evaluate the different categories. Although the sophomores placed first in the eagle and the float, two of the most important items for spirit points, the seniors secured first place overall.

“I think that it was unexpected for the seniors to come out on top coming into the rally, seeing as the sophomores [did so well] in the eagle and the float. It just goes to show that nothing is ever set, and there is always room for classes to excel and come back even if they have one bad event,” Andre said.

Many seniors were thrilled that they earned first place in Homecoming, especially because they placed fourth in last year’s Homecoming Week events.

“I think our class put a really great effort to make sure that everything was working. We did really well on the skit and tug-of-war,” Simar Mangat (12) said. “[Our class] really came together as a family, and you could see our spirit and enthusiasm in the rally. We did better than we’ve ever done before.”

Similarly, many sophomores were jubilant about defeating the juniors for the second year in a row and placing second in Homecoming.

“I think it was great that we were able to beat the juniors, given that they are highly competitive. It reaffirms that the class of 2015 is a highly spirited class,” Matthew Huang (10) said.

One of the biggest detriments to the juniors’ score was that their class skit was well over the time limit, causing them to lose several points in that category.

“It’s a bitter loss to be honest, but it’s only Homecoming. We have the rest of the school year to catch up,” Nithya Vemireddy (11) said.

Several freshmen also showed hope for future spirit events despite their last place finish in Homecoming.

“After seeing the spirit of the freshman class, I sort of expected last place. I felt that there were many spirited people in our class, but overall we lacked compared to other classes,” freshman class treasurer Dhanush Madabusi said. “Even without a great amount of spirit, we did well in a few events, so I feel that next year, now that the freshmen have seen what spirit really means and how fun it can be, we will definitely improve.”

Although Homecoming Week is over, the classes have several more opportunities throughout the year to gain further points, including the mystery spirit event this Wednesday at long lunch.