School practices first Code Red drill of the year

Students+who+were+in+the+library+during+their+second+period+sat+under+the+desks+inside+the+library+classroom+and+followed+instructions+from+the+librarians.+
Students who were in the library during their second period sat under the desks inside the library classroom and followed instructions from the librarians.

During the alternate schedule on Friday, October 19, students stayed in their respective period two classes for the first practice Code Red drill of the school year.

Earlier in the week, Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson had discussed the Code Red procedure with the student body and teachers in preparation for the drill during the school meeting.

When the practice drill was in place, teachers guided students into safe locations in the classroom, such as under or behind the desks. They also reminded students how to barricade the door and put dark colored paper over windows.

Senior Pooja Shah felt that her class successfully followed the procedures of the practice emergency Code Red drill.

“I think we were really on top of things because our teacher, [Susan King], told us a minute before where all the boards were and I think everyone took it seriously […] and we were really organized,” she said.

On the other hand, Sumit Minocha (12) thought that there was room for improvement in his class’ execution of the practice drill.

“I think […] our class could have done a little better on the instructions that were given to the teachers because my teacher didn’t know exactly what to do during the procedure, but other than that it was really good,” he said.

Students who had free period during the Code Red drill were instructed to go to the closest classroom.

Sophomore Sonali Netke did not have a class second period, so she was in the library during this emergency practice drill.

“It was definitely a different experience from being in a classroom because there were a lot more people and preparing for it was different,” she said. “But I’m glad I practiced the drill during my free [period] just in case something like that happens [because] I would know what to do.”

Some students, such as Josh Bollar (12), were in the college counseling office when the Code Red drill was announced. However, unlike other students, he did not feel that it was necessary for students to practice the drill.

Students were released from the practice drill when Lawson announced that they were free to go, allowing them to use the rest of the time for extra help.