Downbeat spreads holiday cheer on annual tour

Downbeat+performs+an+acapella+remix+of+Hark+the+Herald+Angels+Sing+at+Santana+Row+on+Dec.+4.+They+also+performed+at+Harker+again+on+Dec.+15.+
Alison Yang
Downbeat performs an acapella remix of “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” at Santana Row on Dec. 4. They also performed at Harker again on Dec. 15.

Upper school show choir Downbeat traveled across the Bay Area for their annual Holiday tour on Dec. 1st. 

Downbeat held a home show in Nichols Auditorium, where they sang a collection of winter songs for the Harker community.

“It was really fun to watch all of my friends perform,” audience member Ishani Sood (12) said. “I was so proud of Downbeat because I saw all of their hard work come together to make an amazing show. Even after a super long and tiring day of performing, they were still able to produce an amazing, enjoyable performance.”

Downbeat visited Harker’s transitional kindergarten at 9 a.m. to perform winter classics, complex a cappella and upbeat dance numbers choir members shared holiday plans and gifted books to each student.

I was trying to make them feel the love I was feeling in that moment. It was one of the most beautiful and cathartic moments I have ever experienced

— Ananya Das

Following the book gifting, the group headed to The Forum at Rancho San Antonio in Cupertino. They first performed at the memory care facility that houses senior citizens. Smiles and tears filled the room as residents recalled stories from their pasts. Group member Ananya Das (11) dazzled the audience with a solo, “White Christmas,” and found the audience’s response heartwarming and powerful.

“I was trying to make them feel the love I was feeling in that moment,” Ananya said. “As I started the second verse, this couple joined in. Just when it couldn’t get any better, I saw the husband of one of the women hold her hand and she leaned on him and they continued to sing with me. It was one of the most beautiful and cathartic moments I have ever experienced.”

Downbeat proceeded to the assisted living facility. Members handed out candy canes during the set.

After The Forum, the group visited Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco and sang for unhoused people who were at the church for a provided lunch. Downbeat members gave out handmade chocolate chip cookies and pairs of socks. They also shared the goods with kitchen staff, who energetically cheered and sang along to songs they recognized in the set.

Their next stop was the San Francisco Ferry Building, a venue Downbeat performed at in previous years. Downbeat caroled to Pentatonix arrangements like “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” and “Mary Did You Know.”

Downbeat poses outside San Francisco’s Ferry Building, their penultimate stop on their Dec. 1 tour. They closed out the tour with a home show in Nichols Auditorium.

The annual Holiday tour, a tradition that emerged years ago when Downbeat first was founded, brought the choir closer to their community.

“[Tour] really reminded me how much of an impact music can make,” Ananya said.” [It] made me feel so small compared to the love that was circulating the rooms in those moments. It was truly very beautiful.”