School meeting recap 1/24/23: Valentine’s grams, AI Journal and Black History Month

Art+Club+officers+Laurel+Davies+%2811%29+and+Sonya+He+%2811%29+speak+about+the+Honors+Directed+Portfolio+art+showcases.+The+showcases+will+feature+seniors+Austina+Xu%2C+Sonya+He%2C+Aastha+Mangla+and+Vivian+Bi.+

Jonathan Xue

Art Club officers Laurel Davies (11) and Sonya He (11) speak about the Honors Directed Portfolio art showcases. The showcases will feature seniors Austina Xu, Sonya He, Aastha Mangla and Vivian Bi.

by Young Min, Assistant A&E Editor

The school meeting on Jan. 24 started off with Siddhi Jain (11)  from Rock Climbing Club who introduced the club’s Community Climbing session. The session took place on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Movement Santa Clara Rock Gym, and no previous experience was needed to join this event. 

Then, the Student Events Committee from Student Council announced the return of Valentine’s grams which will be available to students for five dollars until Feb. 3. They will be sold outside the library during lunch. 

After the Student Events Committee, Conservatory representatives Kai Stinson (11), Aaron Bao (10), Shareen Chahal (11) and Jacob Huang (12), announced the Harker Concert Series: Cantus which will take place this Friday at 7 p.m. at the Patil Theater. Cauntus will also be holding a masterclass for vocal students from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on the same day. They then showed a video on the Dance Production which was showcased on Jan. 27 at 7:30 p.m., as well as on Jan. 28 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.. 

Krish Maniar (12) and Kaitlyn Wang (11) then announced the new Artificial Intelligence (AI) journal. From research articles to opinion pieces, the AI journal welcomes students to write about a wide range of AI-related topics.

AI Club officers Krish Maniar (12) and Kaitlyn Wang (11) introduce the new AI journal. From research articles to opinion pieces, the AI journal welcomes students to write about a wide range of AI-related topics. (Jonathan Xue)

BB Ajlouny (12) and Zain Vakath (12) then lead the Eagle Update with updates on the current winter sports standings which included varsity boys basketball improving to an overall of 14-3 and varsity girls soccer taking a record of 8-2-1. 

Following the Eagle Update, Kai and KJ Williams (12) from the Black Student Union announced their organization’s plans for the upcoming Black History month, which includes offering traditional African food during some lunches and raising money to make mental help services more accessible for black people. 

Sonya He (12) and Laurel Davies (11) then went on to talk about the showcase of art portfolios which will be at the Rothschild Performing Arts Center next Monday and Wednesday from 12:45 p.m. to 1:25 p.m. The showcases will feature Honors Directed Portfolio seniors Austina Xu, Sonya He, Aastha Mangla and Vivian Bi. 

The meeting concluded with Make Our School Safe (MOSS) club members Katherine Fields and Divya Venkat leading a one minute of silence for the victims of the recent mass shootings in Monterey Park and Half Moon Bay.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly wrote Jacob Huang (12) as Jacob Lin (12). This article has been updated on Feb. 2, 2023 to correct for this error.