New student feature series: Christian Williams

Christian is suited up in his football jersey in preparation for the game against San Jose High School.

Each year new students join the community and perpetuate the diversity of passions, experiences, and aspirations flourishing on campus. Reflecting on their first month of attending the Upper School, sophomores and juniors share their backgrounds and their stories of adjusting to a new environment.

A new eagle has landed on the Upper School campus.

Christian Williams is one of the few new juniors who joined the Upper School this year. Over the first few months of school, he has integrated into the community and student life by making many friends and joining the football team to pursue one of his favorite pastimes.

“I’m really committed to the football team,” Christian said. “I have set both personal and team goals, and [I hope to] help the team get to our most important goal, which is 10 [wins] and 0 [losses] and make this a season that our seniors and the rest of the team would never forget.”

Yet Christian, who attended Valley Christian Dublin High School last year, did not transfer to a new school just for the athletics. He says that he came to the Upper School for his academics as well and considers his life as a student just as important as his athletic endeavors.

“I saw the school as a great opportunity for me as a student as well as an athlete. I’m here to study just as much as I am to play football,” he said.

Among football practice, school work, and his three hour round-trip commute to Dublin every day, Christian does not have much time to himself. Whenever he has free time, he likes to relax, hang out with his friends, and long board with them.

Christian has had an easy transition to the Upper School and enjoys being a part of the community. He especially likes some of the unique aspects of the Upper School that he says were not as prominent at his previous school.

“[I love] how nice and relaxed the campus and everyone is, and how it’s a big community at Harker,” he said. “Everyone is really helpful, so it’s a great school to be at.”

So if you see an unfamiliar face running from Shah Hall to the football field with a textbook in one hand and a football in the other, it is probably Christian Williams.