Performing arts students and parents gather for Conservatory Kickoff

Instrumental Music teacher Chris Florio talks about new performing arts events and performances. The Conservatory Kickoff this year was held on Wednesday, August 29, at the Saratoga gym, instead of the Blackford auditorium.

On Wednesday, August 29, the Performing Arts Department hosted its annual Conservatory Kickoff in the Saratoga gym to introduce students and parents to this year’s performing arts programs.

According to Performing Arts Department Chair Laura Lang-Ree, the objective of the kickoff ceremony is to excite students about upcoming performances and to inform them about what the Performing Arts Department has planned for the year.

“It’s just really neat when you can bring together a whole community of students and parents who just love and appreciate performing,” Lang-Ree said.

Conservatory students also shared Lang-Ree’s enthusiasm for this year in performing arts.

“I’m very excited about being a part of Camerata this year and watching all the performances,” Nathan Dalal (10) said.

The first performing arts production of the year will be the fall play, Hamlet, directed by Jeffrey Draper. Draper announced that auditions for the play will begin this week, and he emphasized the abundance of roles in the play, as multiple actors will play some of the major characters. According to Draper, five people will play the role of Hamlet.

Lang-Ree announced that this year’s spring musical will be Oklahoma! and that auditions for the play will begin in January.

In addition, Instrumental Music teacher Chris Florio, Dance teachers Amalia De La Rosa and Karl Kuehn, and Technical Theater Directors Paul Vallerga and Brian Larsen spoke about what events and performances were new this year in their respective fields.

The kickoff also served as an information session for those interested in the conservatory’s certificate program, which allows students to specialize in a certain field of performing arts by taking part in productions and attending workshops throughout their high school careers. After performing at the end of senior year during the Senior Showcase, these students will be given a certificate commemorating their contributions to the conservatory. Only freshmen and sophomores were invited to attend the certificate program information session portion of the event.

Lang-Ree said, “I can’t wait; we’re looking forward to an awesome year with a great group of people.”