FPS students win top awards at international conference

Members of the Middle School and Upper School’s FPS club gather for a photo at the International Conference in Indiana.

From June 7 to June 10, 12 students traveled to Indiana to compete in the Future Problem Solving International Conference, taking home five top-five awards and winning first place in two categories.

The problem-solving competition entailed teams of four students analyzing a future scene about a fictional pharmaceutical company in Brazil. The teams determined problems in the scene, provided solutions to the problems, and composed an essay describing how they would implement their best solution, called an action plan.

A team comprised of seniors Pooja Shah, Ria Desai, and Sonia Gupta in addition to junior Nikhil Dilip won first place in the senior division, the highest an Upper School team has ever placed.

“This year’s victory was completely unexpected; it’s mind boggling that we were able to beat out so many other powerhouse teams, especially because California is a relatively small affiliate that doesn’t obsessively prepare for the International Conference,” FPS Club President Ria said.

Sophomores Madhu Nori, Sindhu Ravuri, Tiara Bhatacharya, and Juhi Muthal won fourth place in the middle division.

“I thought the [sophomores] might do well since they were pretty driven and determined to prepare for their last year in the middle division,” Coach Cyrus Merrill said.

Junior Andy Wang won second place in the Alternate Competition, in which he competed on a team with other individuals from around the world.

Senior Shelby Rorabaugh won first place in the scenario writing competition, in which teams of three compose a future scene similar to the ones that are analyzed by the teams in the problem-solving competition. Her fifth place was the highest that any student from California has ever attained in the International Conference.

Teams also provide a presentation of their action plan, often in the form of a skit. Madhu, Sindhu, Tiara, and Juhi, in addition to Ankita Pannu (10) and Michael Zhao (9) won first place in the action plan presentation and performed their skit in front of all 3,000 International Conference participants.

The teams look forward to another year of problem-solving, and their first practice problem of the new school year will take place in October.