Keller’s Korner – March 9

This week was busy in all aspects of student life, from performing arts to academic achievements to charity related events.

“I have to address the history that was made with the Siemens presentation [by] Ramya and Albert […] That was so huge an accomplishment for the two of them. On the other hand, how can you not applaud all the people who went out of their comfort zone for the Hoscars? I know the hard work that went into making the Hoscars a reality by the student council,” Butch Keller said. “I feel very thankful to be in a community where the student body would work so hard to make all of this happen. I think this week is a clear example of our diversity and community spirit.”

On Wednesday, March 7, seniors Ramya Rangan and Albert Wu were honored with the 2011 Siemens Award for AP winners at the Upper School. For the first time in the foundation’s history since only two national winners were announced, both students are from not only the same state, but also the same school. The Siemens Foundation grants this title to students who have the highest composite AP test scores in the nation on eight math and science related APs. After the award ceremony, Camerata, Downbeat, and the Wind Quintet performed for the school.

Throughout the week, the Red Cross Club hosted various events and inter-grade competitions to promote awareness about the club’s purpose, such as lighting a controlled fire and creating small scale earthquake proof buildings. Additionally, those who met certain physical qualifications were eligible to donate blood to save lives on Tuesday.

On Thursday, March 8, the student council held the Upper School’s annual Hoscars, hosted by seniors Ananth Subramaniam and Michelle Lo. Students from all grades auditioned to perform numbers including vocal and instrumental acts. The All Star Award went to Apoorva Rangan (9) for beatboxing on the flute while the Supernova Award went to Maya Nelson (12) for a jazz vocal performance with Divya Sarathy (12) receiving an honorable mention. The Varsity basketball team’s act featuring Coach Keller won the Galactic Award. Finally, Simon Orr (10) won the Bootes Award for his comedic vocal rendition.

More events to look forward to next week include the Yale men’s A Capella group, a Cum Laude lecture, and an update on the baseball team.