Students help restore wetlands on Save the Bay service trip

Early Saturday morning on January 28, 21 students arrived at the Upper School to help restore wetlands in East Palo Alto for the Save the Bay community service trip. Students who wanted to earn hours or simply help the environment signed up for the trip when Kerry Enzensperger, Director of Upper School Community Service, emailed the student body two weeks ago.

The group of students visited the Faber Tract, a levee that is part of The Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge in East Palo Alto. Upon arrival, they learned about the history of the levee, the animal inhabitants, the plants that grow in the region, and the work they would do to help preserve the area.

Students then worked to plant native species such as gum plant, jaumea, and salt grass throughout the levee. First, the students would dig a hole where a flag had previously been positioned; then they would put the small plant in the hole, cover it up, and water it.

“[The planting] is a bit slow at first, but then you get the hang of it. It’s actually kind of fun.” Michelle Zhang (11) said.

The purpose of the planting was to restore the wetlands surrounding the salt ponds around East Palo Alto, which are home to multiple species of native plants and animals and also act as a buffer to prevent trash from floating into the open ocean.