Upper school celebrates holidays with gift exchange activities

Rose Guan

Ashley Jiang (11) peers into a box holding gifts from the journalism program’s annual secret Santa gift exchange. As winter break approaches, upper school students and faculty organize exchanges like secret Santa and white elephant to celebrate the holidays.

by Rose Guan, Winged Post Copy Editor

Garlanded trees, winter-themed ornaments and festive decorations have all appeared around campus, but as winter break approaches, many upper school students and teachers will also celebrate the holidays with Secret Santa, white elephant and wish drive gift exchanges.

Participants in Secret Santa gift exchanges anonymously give to a randomly selected member, while white elephant exchanges involve the redistribution of gifts as they are claimed. Both types of gift exchanges often involve other rules or variations, such as price limits or clues to the giver’s identity.

“We’re doing a white elephant this year, so it’s not really directed gifts or anything, but it should be pretty interesting,” said Oliver Doig (10), whose advisory, advised by English teacher Jennifer Siraganian, has organized a gift exchange. “White elephant doesn’t actually contribute that much [to bonding], because you don’t have to go out of your way to find a gift for someone, but it’s still like you’re coming together and giving gifts, and it’s all in the spirit of Christmas.”

Some students and faculty will also participate in wish drive events, which involve giving presents to low-income households instead of to each other.

“I think it’s fun,” said science teacher Chris Spenner, whose advisory is participating in both a Secret Santa exchange and the Family Giving Tree’s Holiday Wish Drive event. “Because of my focus on sustainability, I can’t help but worry about the consumerism aspect of [gift exchanges], but I think it’s worth, once a year, [to set] aside those concerns for something that brings people together.”

Many advisories, sports teams and other activities have organized gift exchanges to bond and increase involvement as a way for students, advisees or teammates to learn more about each other.

“The whole Secret Santa thing is, in a way, cheer bonding for us. It’s a way to get to know the girls better, because we don’t cheer bond as much as we’d like to because we’re all busy, so it’s just a fun activity to do once the season is over,” said Raveena Panja (11), head captain of the girls cheerleading team, which holds an annual Secret Santa exchange. “They don’t really expect the gifts since it’s secret, so it’s just really enjoyable. It’s a nice experience.”

Some students are also participating in multiple exchanges this holiday season because of the breadth of activities which host them. Junior Aislinn Coveney is involved in two exchanges, one with her advisory and one with the girls soccer team.

“For advisory, it’s just really fun trying to guess who got you the gift, and it’s really funny whenever people guess wrong, because it’s usually really bad,” she said. “For soccer, we write hints, and it’s really fun hearing all the discussions like, ‘oh, I wonder who’s this, who’s that,’ because we do two rounds of a smaller gift and then a bigger gift at the end of the year.”