First day of Homecoming Week: Eagles, Candyland, and Candy Pass

Monday November 7 marked the first day of Homecoming week, and it was the Freshmen’s day to take over the campus with their theme: Candyland.

The class of 2015 took full advantage of their designated decoration day, covering the campus with Candyland-themed props ranging from lollipops planted in the ground to the placement of large wrapped candies on top of the Manzanita Hall sign.

Freshmen and advisors had the option of either dressing as characters or pieces from the board game. Bright stripes and neon flooded the halls of the typically more subtly toned campus.

The lunchtime spirit activity of the day was the “Candy Pass,” where ten participants from every class, standing in rows, were each given a spoon to hold in their mouth. Students were to pass a gumball down the row of people using only the spoons, and were forced to begin from the start of the line if the gumball dropped.

Sarika Asthana, one of the Senior participants in the Candy Pass, thought the game was a fun beginning to the festivities, and hopes for continued Class of 2012 participation throughout the next few days.

“I think Homecoming week is off to a good start,” Sarika said. “The competition was fun […] I just hope the seniors remember that it’s our last chance to do these activities in high school, so we might as well embrace the opportunity.”

Sophomore secretary Vincent Lin also participated in the competition.

“I am very happy with how my class did during the competition at lunch today.” Vincent said. “But I do think that the point of spirit events is not to win, but to have fun trying to win.”

In the 6th period lunch, the Juniors took a swift victory. Seniors took second place, followed by the Freshman class in third and the Sophomores in fourth. In 5th period lunch, the Juniors won once again, followed by the Sophomores in second and the Seniors in third, and the Freshman class in fourth.

“It was a difficult but fun activity,” Kerry Enzensperger, Student Activities Coordinator, said. “I think it went really well.”

In addition to a day of candy-themed events, the class eagles were rolled out for display, marking the true start to the week of festivities.