Heart of Harker: A nonlinear pathway to coursework brings better fit

In this repeating guest column, we encourage all student writers from around the community to share their memorable experiences while at the Upper School. Please email all column ideas to [email protected].

by Arjun Subramanian, Guest writer

I remember my first day at Harker with surprising detail.

First period Math class was taught by Mr. Walsh, a gregarious man with a heart of gold and a dangerously disarming smile.

Later in the day, I stumbled to Music with the help of a friendly security guard and promptly tripped over Ms. Cowgill’s feet, landing flat on my face much to the amusement of my peers.

Finally, totally lost, I approached a man in a fancy suit, deep in conversation, and interrupted him to demand that he direct me to 5th grade Biology. I later learned that his name was Christopher Nikoloff – whoever that is.

Why do I have such vivid memories of a day from more than six years ago? Maybe it’s because I’ve held them close to me for so long.

Harker has had an amazing impact on my life, and I’ve grown as a student, a scientist, a performer, and a person while I’ve been here.

Coming from a school where I had never really fit in, I found a peer group at Harker that pushed me to excel and caught me when I fell. Without a Harker education, there’s no way that I could developed such poetic skill as I showed in the previous sentence. Excel, fell – Get it? Anyone? I’ll see myself out…

Seriously though, I think that Harker provides a unique environment with all the opportunities available to all of its students. Over the course of my time here, I’ve been encouraged to pursue STEM, through research projects in middle and high school and participation in Science Olympiads.

But I’ve also made plenty of memories and friends performing in Downbeat and being a part of musicals and plays.

Not just that, so many other students are like me in that they attempt different classes and activities.

Balancing the two spheres hasn’t always been easy, but I’ve always known and loved that Harker isn’t the strictly academic school that many think it to be.

We embrace diversity, nonlinearity, and most of all, we welcome people, not resumes. Writing this piece, I’m imagining myself six years ago on my first day here – scared and lost, undoubtedly, but not alone.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Mar. 2, 2016.

Arjun Subramanian (11) is an avid gamer. In his free time, he does research and participates in science olympiads. He also enjoys taking part in Downbeat.