School meeting recap–10/5

Vijay Bharadwaj

Performing arts students talk about plays for SDS. Audition signups begin tomorrow, and auditions will take place on Oct. 13.

Students who are interested in engineering programs can sign up for the Tests of Engineering, Math, Aptitude and Science (TEAMS) competition, which will take place in February. Interested participants can sign up on Athena by Oct. 31 or visit head of the math department Anthony Silk in his room in Dobbins 204 for more information. Previous contestants will not be automatically entered into the competition.

The Harker Eclectic Literary Magazine (HELM) created an online presence for the club. Students can submit poetry, prose and art to HELM by Oct. 31. The topic for this year’s magazine is duality. Past submissions for the magazine can be viewed here.

Career Connect is hosting a LinkedIn workshop during long lunch this Wednesday to. Career Connect will also hold a speaker series during the spring, as well as mentorship programs. The workshop this Wednesday will review the aspects of maintaining a LinkedIn profile.

Clubs who have not yet contacted the yearbook staff for photos should do so by Wednesday.

Student Directed Showcase (SDS) announced the plays for performance this year. The plays are: “The internet is distract- Oh look a kitty!” directed by Mary Najibi (12), “The Final Dress Rehearsal” directed by Maxwell Smitherman (12), “Selfie” directed by Rachel Renteria (12) and “Cheating Death” directed by Janet Lee (12). Sign ups will start tomorrow and auditions will be held next week on Oct. 13. For students in the certificate program, attending the audition qualifies as a workshop.

The Challenge Success team worked with staff members to create a new bell schedule. The new bell schedule will be piloted January and implemented in the upcoming school year.

The new bell schedule will run on a four day cycle. The schedule will be implemented in January and the first day of February for trial purposes.

Assistant head of student affairs Gregory Lawson reviewed the protocol for students in the event of an earthquake. The general procedure for a student is to duck and cover, shield head and body and keep away from fragile objects and windows.

Varsity football defeated Santa Cruz at the homecoming game on Saturday with a score of 23-13. The team will travel to Oakland on Oct. 3 to face Emery High School for the second league match of the season.

Varsity girls’ tennis beat Pinewood, Crystal Springs and Tamalpais, but lost to Bishop O’Dowd in the Battle of the Bay tournament. The team will face Sacred Heart Prep tomorrow at the Santa Clara Tennis Center.

Girls’ volleyball won against Menlo School. They travel to Notre Dame on tomorrow and will play Mercy Burlingame at home.

Varsity girls’ cross country placed second overall. The team will compete this Saturday at Crystal Springs High School.

Girls’ water polo lost to Santa Clara High School last week but earned a victory over Wilcox High School. Boys’ water polo beat Lynbrook High School and Santa Clara. Both water polo teams host Milpitas tomorrow.

Girls’ golf won against Sacred Heart Cathedral Preparatory and Mercy High School Burlingame. The girls have a game against Menlo tomorrow.