Donald Trump races ahead of Republican rivals

Wikimedia Commons

Donald Trump speaks at a convention in Washington D.C. in 2015. Trump is running as a part of the GOP party for president.

Previously famous for his success in real estate and work in the media, politician Donald Trump currently leads the Republican party as the front-runner in polls for the 2016 elections, but he also faces extensive criticism for his controversial political stances throughout the course of his campaign.

According to a HuffPost Pollster poll updated on Wednesday showing trends in support for candidates involved in the 2016 National Republican primary, Trump leads the GOP (Grand Old Party)  at 32.5 percent support with fellow candidate Ben Carson following at 13.1 percent support.

Despite leading his party in support, Trump faces mixed criticism from the media following his remarks on immigration from Mexico and his negative comments during his feud with Fox News journalist Megyn Kelly after his participation in the Fox News debate on Aug. 6.

Following the upswing in media coverage of Trump, the student body reflected on Trump and his political campaign.

“He’s like a bit messed up; he’s a bit radical, but in my opinion, he’s better than Democrats,” an unnamed freshman* said.

Other students felt that Trump had been antagonizing his fellow candidates and possible voters with his stances. Following the GOP debate last month in which Kelly questioned Trump extensively about his comments regarding women, Trump tweeted disparaging remarks that some construed as sexist about Kelly’s conduct, sparking outrage.  

“I think he’s very rude and offensive, and I think that he should not be running [in the elections] at all,” Lyndsey Mitchell (11) said.

Most notably, Trump has been under fire for his remarks concerning Mexican immigrants in his speech announcing his presidential bid on June 16. According to his immigration plan, Trump believes that a wall should be constructed and paid for by Mexico between Mexico and the United States of America in order to keep out the surge of immigrants that “keeps unemployment high” among other arguments he posed.

Several students disagreed with Trump on this stance, considering his election bid and statements “a joke.”

“I feel like he doesn’t really understand the actual problems that we are facing today,” Sravya Cherukuri (11) said. “I just overall think this is a joke; he’s doing all of this to get attention, basically.”

Some students argued that Trump was not approaching his political campaign in a way that would ensure the support he needs from other politicians.

“I think that [Trump] is making way too many enemies when he’s trying to accomplish such a big thing,” Ethan Grammer (10) said. “I think that if he wants to be successful, he needs to stop making all these enemies and start to actually go after what he wants to accomplish.”

Other students felt that their opinions on Trump did not change after his remarks since they personally had no stance on immigration themselves.

“You know, considering that I don’t have much to do with illegal immigration, I’m rather neutral on that, so there’s not much of an opinion I can give,” Timothy Wang (9) said.

The next Republican Primary debate, which Trump will participate in, will be hosted by CNN on Sept. 16.

*Editors’ note: This article was revised on June 19, 2021. At a source’s request, their name was removed to provide anonymity.