Pep Band debuts at first home football game

On Friday September 9th, the upper school Pep Band made its first performance at the first home football game against Emery High School.

The 16-member band performed the “Star-Spangled Banner” with singer Ashima Agrawal (12) to ceremonially begin the game. The ensemble also performed brief snippets of songs like “Celebration” by Kool and the Gang after touchdowns by the Eagles.

“It’s like what you would see at a college football game. I think it’s what we really needed,” said Ashima Agrawal (12).

“I think it’s going to add a lot of spirit to a lot of school events. The kids are really excited about it and everybody’s receiving it really well. I think it’ll really help the school a lot,” said faculty snare drummer Fred Triefenbach.

An idea that was conceived during the homecoming rally of last year, “has finally come to fruition” said co-manager Charles Levine (12).

As for future plans, the Pep Band will be coordinating with the cheerleading squad, another part of school spirit.

“It’s really great having a pep band around, we worked out a schedule with them so we switch off on timeouts and quarters and we’re going to choreograph some cheers with them,” said captain Saira Ahuja (12).

Conductor Cole Manaster (12) “[hopes] to see it grow to a 250 person band.”

The Pep Band will perform again with singer Alisha Mayor (12) at the football team’s next home game against Cochrane High School from Alberta, Canada.