Filed under Lifestyle

Heart On My Sleeve is stark and startling debut album

Mary Lambert released her debut album titled

Mary Lambert released her debut album titled "Heart On My Sleeve" on Oct. 14. The album discusses topics such as love and sexuality.

Capitol Records

Capitol Records

Singer-songwriter Mary Lambert, who rose to popularity through singing the hook of rapper Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ hit single “Same Love,” released her triumphant debut album “Heart On My Sleeve” on Oct. 14 through Capitol Records.

Lambert describes herself on her website as a “a brutally candid writer,” and the subject matter in her songs and spoken word poetry often touches on subjects such as body positivity, her experiences with drug and alcohol abuse, rape and LGBT rights.

“Heart On My Sleeve” starts with a quiet metaphorical bang, leading with single “Secrets,” which begins with a daring confession of sorts. “I’ve got bipolar disorder, my sh**’s not in order, I’m overweight, I’m always late, I’ve got too many things to say,” she sings.

“Secrets” is a radical self-love anthem heading off the lighthearted and introspective tone that lasts throughout the album, changing in perspective from song to song but keeping the underlying principles the same throughout.

The album continues with “So Far Away,” a light pop tune discussing themes of longing and wistfulness, inviting a lover to “kiss me like the world is going to disappear.” The perfect coupling of a heavy bass beat with Lambert’s soprano easily makes this track a head-banger. “Ribcage,” the next song, begins with Lambert’s lilting voice accompanied by a single beat, reminiscent of Lambert’s spoken word origins in its poetry. “Ribcage” also features rappers Angel Haze and K.Flay.

“Open up my ribcage,” Lambert sings, as the song transitions into an ethereal, pulsing section accompanied by light piano. “I offer souvenirs, a deaf tongue and blinded ears, can you feel the shelves in here?”

“Dear One” takes listeners right to a spoken word performance with the first few seconds. Lambert recites an inventive and elegant love poem, showcasing her song and poetry writing skills in a brilliant package. “Heart On My Sleeve” continues into “When You Sleep,” another ballad featuring heartwrenching soprano vocals and light piano, though the sentiment seems slightly trite, Lambert’s voice carries the listener successfully through.

“Chasing The Moon” features an upbeat musical melody as Lambert reflects on her own present and past love life. Lambert’s voice remains utterly beautiful, yet this song is more lackluster compared to other standout tracks on the album.

Lambert segues into a cover of the classic song “Jessie’s Girl” by Rick Springfield with a welcome, refreshing twist, remixing the song’s pronouns meaning to align the song with her own sexuality.

“Monochromatic”‘s title is deceptive, for the song is anything but colorless or monotonous. Lambert sings another radical self-love song, enchanting listeners with her call for happiness in her self and others.

“Everybody’s hurting,” she reassures listeners. “There’s nothing more human than that. See the pieces of heart’s missing, but watch how the light fills the cracks.”

Next on the album is the love song “Heart on my Sleeve,” which keeps the album’s momentum going with a strong, throaty bassline that resolves into a light, hopeful melody for the chorus.

The penultimate track, “Wounded Animal,” is another ballad, in which Lambert begs for a lover’s forgiveness. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry I didn’t try at all,” she says. “I lost myself when I found you in the fog.”

Lambert wraps up “Heart On My Sleeve” with “Sum Of Our Parts,” the perfect end to an already magnificent debut album. The power ballad contains piano with a bass drum almost contagious with the way it makes listeners want to bob along to the beat. “You are the only one who can save you,” she sings. “We are, we are more than our scars. We are, we are more than the sum of our parts.”

Lambert will be in the Bay Area for a performance on Dec. 5 for STAR 101.3’s One Starry Night in San Francisco.