Karriem Stinson chosen by Rotary Club of Almaden Valley to be North All-Star team head coach

Football coach Karriem “K” Stinson will be on the sidelines at the 37th Annual Charlie Wedemeyer High School All-Star Football Game, this time not as a runningback coach as he had the last two years, but as the head coach for the North team.

The game will be played against the South team coached by Coach Matt Kiesle of Piedmont Hills on July 20 at Spartan Stadium at San Jose State University.

Coach K was chosen by the Rotary Club Almaden Valley, the organizer of the All-Star game.

“Being chosen for this game is the highest honor any high school football coach could have. I feel truly blessed to coach this game,” he said.

This game has been played since 1974 to recognize former Los Gatos High School head coach Charlie Wedemeyer, who died on June 3, 2010 after thirty-four years of fighting Lou Gehrig’s disease. After contracting the disease, Wedemeyer continued to coach the Los Gatos Wildcats; they won the 1985 CCS championship game without being able to neither walk nor talk. Later, in 1992, he received the title of Disabled American of the Year.

“Coach Wedemeyer is a true inspiration for people from all walks of life. He has taught me to never give up and that’s one of the sayings I live by,” Coach K said.

According to Coach K, he will be leading a “stud” team comprised of some of the best football athletes from South Bay schools including California Division I champion Palo Alto High School.

Joining Coach K will be the upper school’s own varsity football captains Rishi Bhatia (12), who played quarterback, and Gautam Krishnamurthi (12), who was a receiver. Coach K, Rishi, and Gautam are all excited to participate in the game. Coach K is proud of the two seniors and is glad they can end their high school football careers representing the school in the All-Star game.

“If they workout and polish their game they will represent the upper school as players have in the past: with commitment, courage, and class,” Coach K said.

Gautam, who is playing “one of the most exciting games” of his life, is extremely happy to have Coach K as the head coach.

“Our relationship [with Coach K] will allow us to have more opportunities and play more than other Harker players in the past,” said Gautam.

Gautam, who will play receiver, has watched the all star game the last two years and followed it with great interest. He said that playing in the game will be a “challenge and a great opportunity” and is something he has wanted to do for a long time.

Rishi, who thought his football career had come to an end when he tore his hamstring and missed the final two games of his senior season, is excited that he has one more chance to play. Although he wants to play quarterback, Rishi may play runningback or receiver.

If the team wins the game, although they will not receive a concrete prize, the three Upper School representatives will be able to live with the win for the rest of their lives.