Fundraiser and blood drive held during Red Cross Club Week

Senior Alan Soetikno sells cupcakes in the Red Cross Club’s bake sale fundraiser. Raising money and promoting blood donations were the main goals of Red Cross Week.

This week, continuing an annual tradition, Red Cross Club is holding a fundraiser and a blood drive to raise awareness and donations for Red Cross International.

Club members are selling baked goods throughout the week and hosted a blood drive today during long lunch. All money collected will be donated to the Red Cross to fund relief efforts in areas hit by disasters such as Hurricane Sandy last fall.

Like most club weeks, Red Cross Week has usually had two objectives: raising money and creating awareness in the student body. This year, though, the club has focused more on donations, advertising the bake sale and creating incentives to sign up for the blood drive by promising to slime the ASB student council.

“Normally we try to focus on having a different event each day of the week, but this year we centered the week around the blood drive,” said secretary and activities coordinator-in-training Sabrina Sidhu (10). “It was also really heartwarming to see so many students who couldn’t donate blood supporting our cause by buying at our bake sale.”

Some members have mixed feelings about the success of this year’s Red Cross Week.

“I don’t think this year’s club week has been as good compared to last year’s, when we did disaster preparedness events like an earthquake simulation with a graham cracker tower,” co-events coordinator Alan Soetikno (12) said.

However, Alan expressed optimism for the fundraiser and the student body’s willingness to donate blood.

Blood donations were organized by representatives of Blood Centers of the Pacific (BCP), a nonprofit organization that provides needed blood to hospitals throughout Northern California.

Junior Sahithya Prakash chose to donate blood because she wanted to give back to the community.

“After hearing that one person could save three lives [by donating], I felt that taking one hour out of my day was the least I could do,” she said.

Red Cross Club has worked with BCP in the past as well as the Silicon Valley chapter of the Red Cross in a variety of volunteering activities, including “gift wrapping during the holiday season, attending a refugee simulation, and [teaching] basic aid classes to Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts on weekends,” according to Sabrina.

The club’s service-oriented approach separates it from other similar clubs such as Medical Club, which focus on supporting students’ medical interests.