Saving three lives in seven minutes: Students donate blood

Junior Divya Kalidindi has her blood drawn by the machine during Red Cross Club’s annual blood drive. The drive was held on Wednesday, March 20 during long lunch in the gym.

The Red Cross Club held its annual blood drive today, organized in conjunction with Blood Centers of the Pacific, as a part of its club week.

Over the last few weeks, Red Cross members encouraged students and faculty to donate blood. The club met its sign-up goal which guaranteed a slimeing of the ASB cabinet at a later date.

Red Cross President Preeya Mehta (12) was impressed by the community’s response.

“In the past years when I was here […] there weren’t that many people who were that interested. This year, we got people who were on the fence […] The response that I’ve gotten from people who’ve donated is really positive,” Preeya said.

A prospective donor had to meet certain height, weight, and iron requirements, have parental consent, and been unexposed to diseases such as malaria. Although some people were ineligible to donate, “people were trying to get their friends to donate and raising awareness,” according to Red Cross Activities Coordinator Sonia Sidhu (12).

Once they filled out a medical history form, donors were administered an iron test. If the iron level was high enough, they were hooked up to a machine which pumped out one pint of blood, which was estimated to save the lives of three people. Finally, the donors were asked to eat sugar-filled snacks to maintain their blood sugar levels and rest for the remainder of the day.

Junior Divya Kalidindi has wanted to donate for a long time but was unable to do so because of her age. She became a first-time donor this year to help others in need.

“Just to think that seven minutes of your time can save three people is really cool,” Divya said.

Sonia, who organized the drive, felt that the event was a way to connect the school community with the services of Red Cross.

“I think this is one of the lines of service that the general community can get involved in. And I know there’s a lot of people here eligible to donate […] The need for blood is so constant: blood is needed every two seconds in the US,” she said.

The blood donated to the drive was collected by Blood Centers of the Pacific and will be distributed to local hospitals by the San Jose chapter of the Red Cross.