Two water polo seniors recognized by CCS

Senior Karan Das-Grande (right) passes the ball to one of his teammates during a game versus Lynbrook High School. Senior Keri Clifford (left) prepares to take a shot while being guarded by a Fremont High School player. Both Karan and Keri have been recognized by CCS for their achievements this year.

Due to their accomplishments during their school water polo seasons, seniors Keri Clifford and Karan Das-Grande earned first and second team awards in the Central Coast Section, respectively, last Monday.

At the end of the season, coaches involved in the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League voted for players who they thought were worthy recipients of the award. Each team consists of 11 members, meaning Keri and Karan are among the top 22 players in Division 2.

While some of their teammates only began playing water polo in high school, both athletes discovered their passion for the sport in eighth grade and feel like they have benefited greatly from it.

“I learned time management and how to balance my school work and [sports],” Keri said. “The days I don’t have practice, I’m usually less efficient.”

Although she has not yet decided how much she wants to commit herself to the sport, Keri is positive that she will pursue water polo in college. Her top choices include Pomona and UC San Diego.

“Pomona is Division 3 so they don’t have the National Letter of Intent, but I’ve been talking to the coach,” she said. “UC San Diego does have the National Letter of Intent, but I’m still not sure what college I like the best.”

While Keri is looking at universities in California, Karan has his sights set on Connecticut College and will receive admission results on December 10. He is already thinking about his water polo career after college.

“I’m most likely going to be playing in college, and after that I would like to continue playing in what they call semi-pro,” he said. “Either [I’ll go] somewhere in Europe for a couple years or do Masters Water Polo in the U.S.”

Keri and Karan’s passion for the sport has led them both to prized positions at the top of the league, and they hope to improve upon their skills in college.