Varsity girls volleyball ends season at CCS semifinals

Junior Divya Kalidindi spikes the ball past an attempted block by Harbor. On Wednesday, November 14, the girls’ volleyball team travelled to Menlo to play in CCS semifinals.

The Varsity girls’ volleyball team’s CCS run ended in a game against top seat Harbor in the semifinals held at Menlo School yesterday.

The Eagles lost by two sets, in a four set game that took the crowd through a riveting roller coaster of emotions.

Harbor started the match strong, hitting kill after kill against a struggling opponent. However, the Eagles gained their footing and proved resilient; the girls maintained their offensive throughout the rest of the game leading repeated reversals of momentum.

“I don’t think any of us lost hope for winning until the ball hit the floor closing the game,” team captain Shreya Dixit (10) said.

Shreya further explained that one of her team’s weaknesses during the game involved blocking the opponents’ advances.

“We were unable to get good touches off the block when the other team was hitting, so the ball was going straight down, making it hard to pass,” she said.

Despite the 30-minute drive from the Upper School, a large attendance including students, parents, and faculty helped bolster the team’s spirit, according to many players. Some supporters created posters for their favorite players, while others, such as the boy’s basketball team, created cheers and stood for much of the last set.

Many of the fans arrived on the rally bus or drove with friends after their own sports practice. Several students came to encourage their friends on the team as well as to support the school.

“I just thought that since they made it far, they deserve to have an audience,” Nathan Dalal (10) said.

Those on the volleyball team, while disappointed by their performance during some points, expressed pride in how far they had reached this season.

“I was really happy, and I felt like that was how we should have played,” Doreene Kang (9) said, recalling her emotions during the successful second set.

As the team is expected to consist of the same players, the girls hope to advance further into CCS finals next year.