Maui stories: Haleakala review

Rocks litter the edge of the volcanic crater as clouds shade it from harsh sunlight. The Haleakala National Park was a constant source of wonder and amazement for the group of 19 Upper School journalism students who visited on June 28. In order to preserve the wildlife, groups can be only 12 people or less.

Gauzy clouds swirl around jagged peaks and reddish rock, temporarily flooding the breathtaking crater with a light mist. A narrow dirt trail zips along the edge, worn into the rocky terrain by the thousands of people who trek the path each year. These spectacles converge into a sensational horizon where the farthest of the volcanic crags melt into a limitless expanse of ocean.

Such is the sight bystanders would witness if they were to stand on the edge of the crater at the Haleakala National Park of Maui. With a 10,023 foot high summit (approximately 3050 meters), the park is not only a historical and cultural epicenter with important ties to the Maui people, but also a haven for endangered species—some of which call Haleakala their only home.

According to the National Park Service website for Haleakala, the maintained area spans over 30,000 acres with close to 25,000 dubbed a “wilderness area.” The massive location along with the park’s numerous policies regarding hiking groups help encourage a feeling of solitude among visitors. Also, because these principles include a 12 hikers-per-group limit, they assist in the maintaining and protecting of rarer species.

For willing and determined hikers, the Haleakala National Park is an imperative. A moderate path winds down, cutting across the edge of the crater and eventually leading to the bottom. Such an experience provides a continuous stream of scenic viewpoints, especially with the openness and isolation of the area. Above the cloudline, the view is endless and infinitely clear.

However, once the hiking path descends into the billowing water vapor, “scenery” turns into a vast expanse of milky gray. In fact, once water droplets begin to condense on one’s skin, staying dry also becomes increasingly difficult, while the temperature, in turn, also begins to drop.

Regardless of these corporeal inconveniences, the hike presents a largely enjoyable expedition for experienced hikers looking for a scenic jaunt through a quiet, rocky area.

Others, however, may not have nearly as positive of an experience on the hike due to several low points of the journey, the most prominent being the copious masses of dust. Kicked up by fellow hikers, scuffed up by the wind, and pervading the air, the dust becomes nothing but a nuisance to those attempting efficient travel. Not to forget, of course, the generously provided deposits of horse manure left behind by those who have opted to ride through the trails.

In addition to natural obstacles, the hike may be challenging for younger children and the more elderly travelers as the trails are narrow, slippery, and long.

A great challenge for the more experienced and a dusty trial for the less, Haleakala’s enchanting scenery and vivid palette of colors are sure to truly capture the heart of nature aficionados and casual tourists alike.