Humans of Harker: Learning through literature

James Blenko moves through life with authenticity and a love for learning
“I think that reading should be an escape. A lot of the time when I read realistic fiction, I think that I could just be living life instead. If I wanted to experience reality, I could go and do it, but it’s not like you can go outside and see dragons or something. So I like the escapist aspect, but I also read some nonfiction and essays and memoirs,” James Blenko (12) said. (Alison Yang)

A plethora of words litter the book’s page, waiting for someone to unravel the story held within. Without hesitation, a five-year-old James Blenko (12) takes on the challenge. He begins to read the words aloud. Stops. Tries again. Stops. Tries another time. His dad watches from the side and patiently encourages James’ efforts. As the night deepens, he continues reading with determination, moving slow and steady. Many years later, James finds himself in front of a book once more, retaining the same love for reading that developed out of these precious moments spent reading with his dad. 

Being avid readers themselves, James’ parents often surrounded him with books throughout his childhood. Now, he continues to immerse himself in literature through interning at the Santa Clara library and participating in Harker’s Book Blog club. Exposure to a variety of different works allowed James to soon discover his favorite genres: fantasy and science fiction. 

I think that reading should be an escape,” James said. “A lot of the time when I read realistic fiction, I think that I could just be living life instead. If I wanted to experience reality, I could go and do it, but it’s not like you can go outside and see dragons or something. So I like the escapist aspect, but I also read some nonfiction and essays and memoirs.” 

However, James’ interest in reading goes beyond simply consuming literature — he takes on the role of the writer as well. Often using other texts for inspiration, James composes short stories of his own, seeking to take the reader on a twisty journey full of loose threads that tie together in the very end. 

Given his extensive experience with literature, James also enjoys sharing his opinions on certain books and consistently writes book reviews for Harker’s Book Blog. James’ outspoken nature and willingness to offer his insights caught the attention of upper school English teacher Nicholas Manjoine, who taught James in junior year. 

“He was very articulate, completely willing to share and had really good analytical skills,” Manjoine said. “He was almost always spot on in terms of what was going on politically in the texts. He was really engaged, super generous in terms of sharing his interpretations and perspectives and how the reading experience went for him.” 

James carries that outspoken nature to his role on Harker’s cheer team, translating assertiveness into fierce chants and spirited routines. Joining in the second half of his sophomore year, James experienced both the highs and lows of participating in the sport. From forging valuable friendships with fellow teammates to adapting to a three-person cheer team and learning to cope with injuries, he has learned valuable lessons from his time as a flier on the cheer team. 

With cheer, I’ve had to figure out what I am comfortable with,” James said. “I injured myself last year after falling and getting a concussion. Dealing with the pain involved a lot of getting to know yourself really well and understanding where your limits are, especially since I’m prone to just ignoring whatever my body’s telling me. I think weighing that a lot and having a better understanding of that is really going to help me deal with that as things go on.”

Learning drives James’ endeavors, and he often goes above and beyond to pursue projects that truly pique his interest. In his sophomore year, James rejected the traditional MLA essay on Frankenstein and instead chose to write an APA style research paper that compared Frankenstein to a psychology case study. The analytical paper serves as one of many instances where James unconditionally commits to his passion, a practice that is fundamental to his character. 

“I’m someone who cares a lot,” James said. “I know it’s cool to not care about things, but when I love something I really like it, and when I don’t like something, I really don’t like it. I feel things very strongly and I think that lends to a lot of what I do. When I get into something, I really throw myself into it.”  

James’ care also extends beyond his intellectual pursuits. He shows compassion towards his loved ones, and close friend Maya Chesire (12) appreciates James’ unique ability to liven the mood in any situation. 

“James knows how to make the most uncomfortable moments comfortable,” Maya said. “Even in his writing, he’ll do this thing where he’ll be writing something that’s dark or uncomfortable, and then he will suddenly make it extremely funny. And it’s just baffling because I’ve never been able to do that.” 

His character also shines due to his selflessness. Whether it be helping children locate books at the library or advising parents how to inspire a love for reading in their children, James never hesitates to offer a helping hand. Close friend Phoebe Castle (12) has known James since middle school and cherishes this generous personality of his. 

I value his loyalty,” Phoebe said. “I think he’s a very loyal friend and he’s very caring and he’s a giver. There are givers and takers, and he’s one of the biggest givers I know. He gives his time, his energy, and he’s always willing to help me.”  

From friendships to cheerleading to literature, James remains his true self and continues to chase his passions with purpose. As his high school journey slowly comes to a close, he hopes to leave a lasting legacy of hard work and authenticity. 

I would like to be remembered as someone who put a lot of effort into everything I do,” James said. “I have a reputation for being a little bit of a try hard because I throw myself into everything, whether it’s classes or otherwise, and I’m okay with that.  I’d rather my reputation be that I try too hard than that I’m a slacker.”