Forbes speaks on role as football coach

Strength and Conditioning coach Ron Forbes has been chosen as the Varsity Football Head Coach for the upcoming fall season.

With previous experience as an assistant football coach, strengthening coach and as a football player in both high school and collegiate levels for 15 years, Forbes is prepared to take on his new position.

“I have a good sense of the player’s perspective […] and a good background both technically and tactically with the game of football and being on the field,” Forbes said.

Forbes is approaching the program with a clear goal: to raise awareness of the level of commitment and esteem that comes along with being a part of the football program, as well as to match the school’s academic stature with its athletic standings.

“By making sure we have quality coaches that are dedicated to the program and the Harker mission […] we can legitimize the program and earn it more respect,” Forbes said. “We’re going to build the program to make sure we place our athletes in a successful position to play.”

Additionally, Forbes is placing off-season conditioning at top priority in order to train and develop younger students as successful athletes in years to come.

“The development of our athletes over a four year period depends directly on what they do off-season […] and that’s part of the commitment we have to developing the program,” he said.

Athletic Director Dan Molin supports Forbes’ plans for the future of the football program.

“He understands Harker, and I think the kids really respond to him well and will respect him as a coach,” Molin said.

Bringing a clean slate to the Football Program, Forbes hopes to “change the culture and mindset of how students approach the sport as a student athlete.” Despite the difficulties he may face during the upcoming season, he is motivated “to rise up and overcome” those hardships with his team.

Coach Forbes will be holding a meeting on February 1 during long lunch for any students interested in playing football for the upcoming fall season.