Orchestra visits London over winter break for Cadogan Hall performance

On December 26, the Upper School orchestra embarked on a nine-day trip to London. The students performed twice in London’s Cadogan Hall on December 29 and 31 and had the chance to participate in the London New Year’s Parade Festival.

“I expected it to be a really culturally enriching trip. I think that lived up to my expectations,” violiinist Sahana Rangarajan (9) said. “It was cool to play in Cadogan Hall where all these famous orchestras have played. It was like walking in their footsteps.”

As the biggest international trip hosted by the Upper School with 77 students, the invitation to London was extended by the Lord Mayor of Westminster and directors of London New Years Day Festival, who presented the Upper School orchestra with a plaque for their achievement of excellence.

The orchestra was particularly impressed with their venue, Cadogan Hall.

“I was really taken in by the quality of the acoustics. I think that the experience, overall, is something that [I’ll look back] on.” violinist Madhuri Rao (12) said.

Madhuri along with her fellow orchestra members also found the trip to be a great bonding experience.

“I made a lot of new friends, and I got even closer to my existing friends,” she said. “We were always together and went through a lot of stuff together. Performing and [participating in] the parade helped us all bond really well.”

The Upper School orchestra was well-received and felt the trip was a success.

“It was huge,” orchestra conductor Chris Florio said. “We have a very large orchestra, and we encompass ten percent of the school. Yet, everybody seemed to meet each other and was very friendly. [Now] they have so many new friends to say ‘hi’ to.”

The group’s performance was a positive experience for all involved as well.

“It was right after the super-rush of adrenaline and it was amazing,” said concert-mistress Helen Wu (9), describing their performance. “We got a huge standing ovation and that was probably the best memory.”