Freshman Volleyball team plays Mercy Burlingame

Tuesday, October 11th, in a tough away game against Mercy Burlingame, the Freshman Girls Volleyball team suffered a loss.

The first match was “a good learning experience,” according to Archana Podury (9). The score was 16-25, but highlights included three kills by Allison Kiang (9) and tips by Jackelyn Shen (9). Before the second match, coach Scott Petersen remarked, “I think our hitting was good, but we need to work on our passing.”

In the next match, Kelly Wang (9) noted that the team’s “serves were pretty good and consistent.”

Though the Eagles missed two serves, Mercy missed 11 as a combined total in both games. Kelly also felt, however, whenever the opponent did get a serve in the right side of the court, the ball was usually far “too short or too deep in order to get a good pass.”

Serving and passing seemed to be two major components affecting the score. The early five point lead, thanks to Kelly’s serving, was soon deemed insignificant as one good server from the other team went on a run. The score was close to tied, but one seven-point run led Mercy to victory with a final score of 15-25.