School meeting recap–11/30

Harker+spirit+members+Arben+Gutierrez-Bujari+%2811%29+and+Kailee+Gifford+%2811%29+update+the+upper+school+about+spirit+events.+This+week%2C+each+class+will+decorate+a+Christmas+tree%2C+which+will+be+judged+during+extra+help+on+Friday.+

Vijay Bharadwaj

Harker spirit members Arben Gutierrez-Bujari (11) and Kailee Gifford (11) update the upper school about spirit events. This week, each class will decorate a Christmas tree, which will be judged during extra help on Friday.

by Vijay Bharadwaj, Wingspan Copy Editor

The Diversity Committee adjusted the dress code, taking into account all the feedback it received since the beginning of the school year. Students must cultivate an attitude of respect with their outfits and all members of the student body are expected to be respectful, engaged, kind, courteous and to conduct oneself with integrity. Clothing should not be too casual or exhibit suggestive or inappropriate themes. To approve certain apparel, such as advisory or club sweatshirts, an application can be filled out from dean of students Kevin Williamson’s office.

The Red Cross Club is holding its blood drive this Wednesday in the gym during long lunch. The club currently need 15 more signups. Students can sign up during both lunches in Manzanita on Monday and Tuesday. On Thursday and Friday, the club will sell hot chocolate after school.

As finals are right around the corner, the Honor Council is piloting a study space in Manzanita from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays in these two weeks.

Junior Niki Iyer placed fifth in the State Division Four Cross Country Championship. She set a personal record on the course running a 17:50, which is thirty seconds better than her fifth place finish last year.

Girls tennis doubles duo of Elizabeth Schick (10) and Pamela Duke (9) qualified for the CCS semifinals, advancing farther than any other team in girls tennis history.

Team captains for winter sports should email Shannon Richardson (12) or Oisin Coveney (12) information for the weekly eagle update.

The new swimming coach Tania Chadwick will hold a meeting near Singh Aquatic Center on Wednesday from noon to 12:45 p.m. for students interested in participating in swimming this spring.

Harker Spirit will hold a tree decorating contest in Manzanita hall. Throughout the week, each class has the opportunity to decorate their Christmas trees, which will be judged during extra help on Friday. Additionally, Spirit will show Home Alone in Manzanita Hall on Dec. 4 at 5 p.m.

Assistant head of school Greg Lawson reviewed the emergency procedure for toxic gas pollution on campus. He advised for students to gather in the central shelter, the gym, upon hearing an announcement. Students and faculty must then proceed to close all windows and door cracks with any necessary supplies, such as duct tape or jackets.

There are no special or alternate schedules this week.